AMD Black Edition

cavemangrinder

Fully Optimized
What is the difference between the Amd Athlon x2 and the Black edition? I know its a few more mhz than the regular x2 but does it have significant performance for the bit higher price tag?

yeah definitely an overclocking enthusiast processor. That's the idea anyways.

I was wondering the same thing caveman.

Well, it seems I killed 2 stones with one bird.......yes, I know.:D

I have never OCed before so I don't think the black edition would be such a fiesta for me. As far as I know the regular AMD x2 can be OCed ok to some degree or no? I was thinking about getting the 5600+ and OCing it to maybe 3.0 or even 3.2 if possible. Is that ok or is the performance gain not really significant to bother with it?

Yes, most CPUs have an OC potential. Some more than others. The Athlon X2 5600+ can be overclocked but not too high. As you've mentioned, 3.2GHz is probably the most you can OC it without running into trouble (if you get that lucky). Most likely, you'll hit around 3GHz-3.1GHz being stable. Not significant to me, but ok regardless.

Well, unless you get lucky with a stepping, most of the normal X2s will top out around 2.7-2.8 GHz unless you have a killer setup and great cooling, so it is a pretty nice number to get that high and a lot less hasle with an unlocked multi.

Back
Top Bottom