Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default AMD Athlon II x2 Temp?

Hi guys, i really need your opinion/advice here.

I tried to use Windows 7 x64 recently and i notice that my core temp reaches 47'c just in normal usage which i think is really high since it was only around 29 - 33'c when i use Win XPpro sp3. (29-33'c is i think the normal temp here cuz i notice that in other pc as well) im in philippines so room temp would be around 30'c.

Whats the normal Temp of AMD Athlon II X2 245regor?
and is it really normal to reach 47'c in windows 7? cuz im planning to use this pc to edit video and i think it would reach 50'c if i do that.

here's SpeedFan,Specy and CPUID readings

i notice CPUID -TMPIN1,2/SpeedFan Temp 2,3 is really too high but it was always like that (stuck @ 127) and i really dont know where that temp is comming from.

any advice/comments would be appreciated.
thanks

aznix2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:31 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: AMD Athlon II x2 Temp?

dont worry about it.

if its always been 127C, an it runs fine. Its a fulty senser so dont worry about it.

if you CPU or anything was at 127C equal to 260F, it would melt.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

50*C isn't a bad temp for an under load CPU. The only time temps matter are when people blow them out of proportion. a CPU designed to run at 60*C on the OEM heatsink is fine.

That being said, I just put together an X2 245 system and the CPU didn't get that hot at all, so I'd make sure you've got good thermal contact with the heatsink, you're using the right amount of thermal compound, etc.

As for the 127C reading, I agree with sniperviper - it's a busted sensor or a problem with the software, your other temp readings are fine.

Something else to keep in mind is that Windows 7 will use more of your CPU and video card to handle screen drawing than XP did because of the way Windows 7 draws windows compared to XP.

If after you check your cooling solution you still hit 47*C in Windows, run a Prime95 test on the system for a good 15 minutes. If the temp stays stable, and the system doesn't shut down or restart on you, then the temps are fine.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Beta Member

THANKS A LOT GUYS... i think it was the win7 that made it hotter + the lack of ram... i turned to xp and it hovers at 29 - 33... i was just too concerned abt that 127 readings...
aznix2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Fully Optimized

Win7 has more idle usage than XP, its a heavier OS in general, bound to happen.

that being said, if you touch the side of the case and it burns you, time to turn it off.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
Omnicide now.

The 127 C reading is definitely the program. Speedfan always reads something absurd like that for the chipset temps. It told me like 600+ C once.

I suggest trying a different program if you're really worried about it. Everest is usually pretty good. The BIOS might also be able to give you readings.

According to AMD, the max safe temp for the CPU is 62C. As long as you're below that, you're fine.

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote