AMD Athlon 64 overheating... 115C!!!

bigbondfan

In Runtime
When playing games like Quake 4 or Rollercoaster Tycoon, my AMD Athlon64 3500+ is reporting 115+ celsius :eek: . Everest reports the CPU at 80C and the CPU diode at 115C. The BIOS reports (after playing a game and rebooting) 70C.

This has only started happening recently, I have made added or upgraded hardware before it started. I have tried resetting the bios, but still no good. The CPU is not overclocked. My full specs are in my sig below.

The fan is an Arctic Cooling fan, and was always a top-notch fan before, keeping the CPU well below 50C. I have tried reapplying some silicon paste... no good. The fan is set to always on, where it is running at constant 1600RPM. on SMART, it runs at about 1000RPM until I go into a game where it will shoot up to 1600RPM.

Could this be a fault with the temperature sensor, or is it really getting this hot? 115C is well above the max operating temp, and yet it still works (though I am not using that machine for now).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

my guess would be its reading them temps wrong

im pretty sure u wud fry that cpu at them temps

Another way is to just open up that case and actually touch the heatsink. Does it hot to the touch? I mean really hot in which you can't rest your fingers on it for more than a few seconds? If so, you need to get that CPU back out and apply new thermal grease on it.

the hotter the heatsink the better in most cases though. less heat on the actual CPU.

if that cpu is actually that hot the cpu wouldnt work anymore. it happened to my old amd when i didnt put the HSF on properly

The heatsink is not hot to touch. I forgot to mention the system crashes often, so I think it probably is overheating, just not by that much. Maybe a bug in Everest? Luckily it's an old CPU which would be cheap to replace if it ever burnt.

I did previously reapply thermal paste to the CPU, but the CPU diode temperature still rockets up to 115C.

BTW, what is the CPU diode?

Thanks

It's possible that it came unmounted correctly, so make sure that its on tight. You could try some new thermal grease too, couldn't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom