AMD Athlon 3000 XP+ Hot

_Niko

BSOD
Well My processor is running Idle Around 70 and i cant quite Figure out why. It has a stock fan and I just reapplied thermal paste and nothing has changed please help.

Add some case fans, clean up the wiring for better air flow. Make sure your fans are set in the rite position intake and out take. The front fans should be intake and the back should be out. If all that doesnt work maybe its time to get a new heatink/fan..

Check contact with the heatsink/CPU - you want to make sure that when you apply a clean heatsink to a CPU with new thermal paste on it (Completely covering the integrated heatspreader) that you clearly see the imprint of the heatspreader on the heatsink itself.

My Dad's computer has an athlon XP 1800+ and it runs at that temp too. The XP line of Athlons must just run quite hot.

i think they do, because my xp 3000 400fsb runs at like 40-45 idle, but it never goes above 50. im using a tt pipe101.

Well i found out my motherboard is giving dumb readings... im going to try and spray the sensors with electrical contact cleaner and see if they read the norm temps.. if not im gunna get a new mobo and cpu since i want an upgrade

An Athlon XP CPU has a maximum temperature rating of 85º C (185º F). So you are fine. Also, Setup option (BIOS) is not so good because while setup is running, your CPU is doing nothing. Its temperature won't be at its maximum. So a software solution is preferred.

Here's a link to check max temps for CPU:

http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

Athlon 64's run way cooler than the Athlon XP's. I use to have an Athlon XP running at 58-65 degrees Celsius. Now, my Athlon 64 runs in the 30's and goes into the 40's when under full load.

Back
Top Bottom