AMD athlon 3000 what can it do?

wozelbeak

Daemon Poster
my lads have a p.c with a amd athlon 3000 cpu. it is a 2.1ghz chip.
my question is this, how much can this chip be overclocked?
he has a game called F.E.A.R for christmass, this requires a 3.0 ghz cpu to run it. i doubt if the chip they have can run this game even with overclocking.
what does everyone think?
woz

fear doesn't require a 3.0ghz AMD chip, maybe a intel one, but not AMD, besides, AMD doesn't even have a 3.0ghz Chip, I think a 3000+ Athlon 64 would be able to run the game, but just enough to get it going, nothing at like peak preformence settings.

Chris

is it a A64 or a AXP? They say a P4 @ 3.0GHz or equivlent. FEAR is very GPU dependent. I can play it at 1280x1024 at high settings with my 6800GT and AXP 3000+.

draconum said:
fear doesn't require a 3.0ghz AMD chip, maybe a intel one, but not AMD, besides, AMD doesn't even have a 3.0ghz Chip, I think a 3000+ Athlon 64 would be able to run the game, but just enough to get it going, nothing at like peak preformence settings.

Chris

it is very choppy while playing on the computer with the amd chip.
on my machine (see signature) it works perfectly well.
do you think it could be their graphics card?

woz

that cpu should be able to run fear fine but that game needs a pretty powerfull graphics card so its probably choppy because its getting low fps (frames per second) what graphics card is in the comp now?

i will have a look what card is in at the moment, once they get off it.
i have a card which i could put in it, its new and unused. its a: MSI Mx4000-T128 AGP 128MB DDR.
would you say that this card would be up to the job?
woz

I think mine would run FEAR pretty good I haven't tried yet because I dont got the vid card though. I think I got benchmarks lets see...well the AMD X2 is better and I think that P4EE is better. I dunno whatever you like.

That video card won't run it, I'm sure. I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ socket 754 (Newcastle core) overclocked to 2.2 GHz running pretty darn stable. For some reason, if I let it go on sleep for a few hours, it'll restart randomly sometimes, and I don't know what causes that. But now, I just don't let my computer go to sleep (let it stay on blank screen saver) and all is fine and dandy. Idles at 33 degrees Celsius and peaks at 50 degrees Celsius with stock cooling. I can run Half-Life 2 1280 x 1024 with no anti-aliasing or anisotropic filtering, at high settings throughout (to the best of my knowledge, anyway) and all is good. I haven't tested it, but I get good FPS (at least 40 average, definitely) The audio stutters from time to time while people speak but that's probably because I have onboard audio... :D

I got about 89 FPS on the Counter Strike: Source stress test, if you have that, and can compare it to that. Also, a score of 53 thousand on AquaMark3.

wozelbeak u deffinately need a new graphics card to play fear i suggest a 6600gt minimum find out what socket it is agp or pci-e if it doesnt have either of those then just give up and get a new comp lol

the computer in question has at the moment got a Nvidia fx 5200 graphics card.
its a compaq computer, and as i said it has a AMD Athlon 3000 cpu.
and also it is about 2 years old.
woz

Back
Top Bottom