AMD 8-Core, a bit disappointed

enlivenit

Solid State Member
Hello all! I just have a quick question about the new AMD FX 8-core processors.
I'm hosting a DNSBL (DNS Blacklist) server for www.mailer.mobi and for a server
I'm finding the CPU more than adequate. It runs all of the server processors ok,
but for normal desktop stuff it just feels a little slow. I'm comparing it (a
3.2 GHz 8-Core AMD) to my lappy which is an Intel Core-i7 1.8 GHz. The laptop
feels significantly faster. It's strange. Has anyone else had similar experiences
with the AMD CPU's? Is there anything I need to do to configure it better?
Many thanks in advance!

What types of applications are running faster on the laptop? The laptop might have a better GPU than the server. Post the specs of the two.

lol, no. the lappy has intel 3000 graphics, so no gpu, the cpu handles the graphics and taks memory for the graphics from shared ram. the pc has a lovely 1gb nvidia pci-e card.

the amd server has 16 gb ram, the laptop only 4gb, and yet the server gets gunked up and applications crash and stall way more often. apps take longer to load, even normal things like office apps. but it's the instability that's really getting to me.

I think you should have to make sure to get the right drivers for your system to perform at its best or the SSD vs. HDD is responsible for the difference in general desktop performance. While the latest AMD processors were panned by critics, they are still more than powerful enough to run any modern PC at optimal speeds.

My RANT (MOAN):
This is the argument i have with alot of freinds, AMD are nowhere near as advanced as intel, ok AMD are cheaper, and most of the time do there job just fine. Intel will always be the best, i think intel have future processors already designed but are waiting for the world to catch up.

Technical Opinion:

When buying the 8-core i hope you wasn't expecting a miracle, the thing with the cores, is most applications can only use 4 of them, with mainly Rendering applications that can use all 8. You should have spend you money on a powerful 4-core, especially for a server.
This would mean instead of having 8x3.2GHz where only 4 are usable.
You would of had 4 x 3.8GHz more power with more use + Turbo on Intel means you can get 4.2GHz out of them easy.

Always buy intel, and sorry if this isnt much help! :(

I think differently than Jake. Though the zambezi chip was a little disappointing, it still has a lot of computing power and even more so when overclocked. I myself have an FX8150 running at 4.8ghz with core voltage at 1.54v and is on par with my friend's overclocked sandy bridge i7. Im not trying to prove that intel is worse or AMD is better, both companies make great chips. the pros and cons of each chip seems to me to be balanced out with maybe intel having an advantage just because they have been in business a lot longer than AMD. On on top of that, we must consider that not all the chips will perform the same, some FX chips will run slower while others will run faster and the same goes with intel. I think it really comes down to personal preference nowadays because of the advance technology that is out there.

what exactly are you running that requires a octo core?
furthermore
setishock
i host 2 minecraft servers from the same box which is a P4 HT
and that blasted thing is always at max
so it all depends on what kind of a service you are hosting
but its my believe that the new bulldozer arch is still yet to be completely programmed for
when they change the architecture of the CPU that much and how it is viewed by the OS
the OS drivers and how the OS uses the CPU core(s)
needs to be updated to fully utilize the CPU
which i dont believe it has been accomplished yet
but then that brings up the next question
who would take the time to develop their program/OS to completely utilize one architecture
vs just being happy with it running at all?
see what im getting at?

Back
Top Bottom