AMD 64 Question

FlamingTeddiz

Baseband Member
Hi, I have been hearing that the Athlon 64 is faster than an intel 32 bit with the same clock speed but if i got an athlon 64 what benifits do i get with the 64 bits. i know some games take advantage of it but not many. also i heard about a windows os that uses 64 bit technology. So if i got a 64 bit do i need to get the os for 64 bit cpus? so i guess what i really want to know is what is bad about getting a 64 bit cpu, prefferably the 3400+? What do i need to get thats only for 32bit and wont work with 64, such as normal software like office, paint programs, the os?

Thanks,

The AMD's are especially better for gaming. There is nothing special you need to run 32 bit programs. If you have an AMD 64 you can run regular XP. There is a beta version of XP that is 64 bit. Someone else here might be able to answer what games if any would make use of the 64 bit technology.

Ok thanks, but i have another question, its more general. What is the difference between the fx 53 and the 3400 besides its more expensive, .2ghz faster and different core? I only see the differences on newegg, is the buss speed different?

It has a different core as for the 64 bit processor get cause all future programms will be using 64 bit format as for games there are none that I know of and the processor will run any 32 bit programm you have

I think 64 bit technology will really expand in 2005... It was really new in 2004

I run my system dual boot with xp pro 32 and xp pro 64 bit. You can't utilize the 64 bit technology without the 64bit os, applications, etc. Windows 64 bit is backwards compatible but good luck! You will see many programs that will not work, a fine example of this is Partition magic. Oh and wait till you try to get updates in 64 bit....good luck there as well...you can't get them.
My suggestion....buy the 64 cpu
But wait until the os is stable before running 64 bit windows...so at least you will have the hardware when the os gets all the bugs out....like 2010 maybe? lol

Well, lets see windows xp was released in 2001? And we have just now gotten to the point of "stable" three years later isn't bad I suppose.
But 64 bit will not release til like middle of 2005, so lets call it 2008 and we shall have a windows 64 bit "stable" os...maybe

this is all based on the assumption that Mr. Gates will be pulling double-shifts for the next 3 years like he has the past 3.......RIGHT!

Back
Top Bottom