Amd 64 3400

sunbeam

Solid State Member
Could any one please help me ? Can the Gigabyte KT600 mother board support the new AMD 64 3400 processor?. I have heard some great things about it, but really don't want to have to upgrade my mob.
Thanks! :)

No, I don't think it does. This is what I found about it, may not be right:

GA-7VT600 1394 is Gigabyte's latest offering for Athlon K7 series. Equipped with the newly launched VIA KT600 chipset, it is one of the first boards to deliver integrated Serial ATA via VIA 8237 SouthBridge. This board supports the AMD Athlonâ„¢ XP 400FSB processor and earlier models including the Durons.

The VIA Apollo KT600, the succeeding product of market leading Chipsets for AMD K7 platform, is furnished with a complete set of today's cutting-edge features combined with VIA's brand new FastStream64â„¢ memory controller technology delivering superior performance. DDR400 memory support and the advanced 400MHz processor bus unleash the full power of AMD Athlonâ„¢ XP processors. This resulted in a better memory benchmark compared to previous generations of VIA chipsets.

You'd need an AMD 64 based one to use that; however good the motherboard is it is not really up to that. They are not very expensive though (certainly not compared to the Processor! :D) www.overclockers.co.uk is who I would recommend. I hope you find what you want.

Thanks!, hoped that I would be able to get away with it without having to rebuild - typical!!.
Do you think that the new processor is worth it (I am currently running a AMD XP3000), or should I wait a while intill prices come down?.

I think it is worth it - I cannot compare an AMD 64 to the AMD XP 3000 but I have seen the 64-3200 against the 2600 and there is no comparison; I imagine the difference between 3000 and 64-3400 is probably about the same. It is worth getting; if you wait then you'll still be paying the same amount of money cause you'll want to 3600 or the 3800 instead.

It depends really on whether you're prepared to wait and whether you can get by for the moment with the 3000. Its probably better to wait though - the Intel 64s are coming out in 2 years! :D but I don't think you'd be prepared to wait that long!

Looks like it's beans on toast this month!. Your right I won't be able to wait!. :p

i have an athlon 64 and it is one fast chip here is a basic idea of my system

AMD athlon 64

2x 160gb 7200 rpm hard drives

512mb ram

nVidia geforce 5200 256mb

cd rw drive

dvd rw drive

17" compaq 7500 monitor

windows xp home

very sweet system

Sounds like a cool system, what brand of baked beans did you have to survive on?!. :D

Wow, thats quite close to my system! :D You sure its not Advent? Except that I use a CRT now becuase I have a large one.

Which AMD have you got? 3000 or 3200?

Back
Top Bottom