AMD 64 3000 +'s Lifetime

SirVal

In Runtime
My new rigs coming in september, and I downgraded to a 3000+ after everything I've heard, i.e it can be oc'd to the speed of a 3800+.
I was just wondering, If i overclock my 3000+ how many years/months can I expect before it is NEEDED for me to buy a brand new dual core/FX processor. Basically how long will it last in the gaming world?
As always opinions are appreciated, No AMD flamers though
Thankyou

Val

I assure no one is goign flame you for owning a AMD. BUt to go back to your question. Todays games do not require much CPU power if you ahve a very overclockable you could have your CPU last many years. I heard of CPUs non overclocked last 17 18 years overclocked 9 or 10 years. In 9 or 10 years even your CPU overclocked wouldn't contend with that days standard. So taking 7 8 years of a CPU last span when they can last 17 18 years is not going affect you and i'd give you the first year or so no need to OC at all. I have a really old pent ll 300 MHz you know what still works like a charm 10 years old. I bet I could keep it for 6 or 7 more years and it'd still work like a charm. But you won't need to upgrade for a while that kinda CPU. And even when you do just overclock it by 15 or 20% and bam you got a extra year or so added that you can use and it'll be good. I've seen benchmarks of my AMD 3200 hit 2.6 2.7 GHz stock cooling. And yes I'm really sure if you pushe dit stock cooling you could hit 2.3, 2.4 GHz which is plently of power even for the gamer.

i have a amd 3000+ "winnie" @ 2.4ghz and when i tried to reach 2.5ghz it just would boot up...had to reset bios. i might turn up voltages sometime and go higher though

I got your PM money_man thanks for the quick reply, 2.4 ghz is plenty fast for me to clock to!
See I was going to get a 3200+ but i figured, £35 more for speeds I most likely won't need, when i'm trying to cut costs is innapropriate, i'm not getting SLi i'm just getting an normal chipset with a X800XL, and then i'm going to get ATI's newest card when it is released, I suppose for a longer life I should get an SLi or get an ATI crossfire board but right now I can't afford it.
I might get a new setup in couple of years when dual cards are needed or something.

Back
Top Bottom