AMD 3600 X2/3800 X2 vs 2.4 P4

GreySteelFox

In Runtime
Well the days are counting down to when I can get my new PC for graduation. The one I'm looking at has a AMD 3600 X2 and a 3800 X2. How much of a performance increase will I notice going from my old school 2.4 Pentium 4? Am I going to be so amazed by the differences that I'll need to have my heart shocked, or will I just barely notice it? This PC will be used for gaming but will only have an ATI x600 for the time being til I can get my hands on one of those 8800GTS's.

I think you'll notice a pretty big performance jump. The P4 isn't dual core, so that alone will add a lot when multitasking, also the 3600 and 3800 mean the performance in MHZ compared to a "standard" processor, that doesn't mean P4 but it will definitely be faster.

Well good. Will I get more FPS in games or will it just make multi tasking and other stuff faster? I may upgrade to an even better AM2 CPU further down the road also.

If the CPU is the only major upgrade and you've been using the x600 for some time then no. You won't see any considerable FPS jumps, you WILL be able to multi-task better, i have a 3800+X2 for skt 939, I upgraded from a P4 and the jump in speed was AMAZING, then again, I also jumped from an FX5200->6800GS and 256 RAM-> 1GB, but.. haha yeah, you'll see a jump in multi-task capabilities.

Is the x600 ultra crap? I have a 6600GT tight now and it's..... ok at best. I know the 8800 will bend everything over and multi-rape all at once!

How does the Pentium D stack up against these two? The other PC has one of these in it and it's cheaper. I'm not going to overclock any of these because it's a Dell.

Back
Top Bottom