AMD 3000+ venice??

99nasha

Fully Optimized
Right im returning my AMD 3000+ with the winchester core for the venice core. Is this a good decison to make?

IMPROVMENTS:

Well it gives you a few advantages if thats really what you want to do. How much extra is it?

1. Integrated SSE3 multimedia instruction sets

2. Mismatched DIMM support (ability to configure and use different size DIMMs on the same channel)

3. Improved memory mapping (more efficient use of memory space)

4. Improved memory loading (can fully populating the memory with double-bank DIMMs with no slow down)

WHAT I THINK OF THEM:

So, you'd get a few advancments if you really want to do it, but I wouldn't think its worth sending back my Winchester core for it, not if its a big price difference.

The SS3 support might speed some programs up though,and might help for things like multitasking which AMD lacks in, with the memory enhancements too working along side this for programs to use.

You wouldn't notice any other differences though, as its still running off the 90nm process, and still about the same running temperatures (might be a tad bit cooler but not much when working since I think they've made some minor changes to the core).

CONCLUSION:

So you might notice some changes in speed, but its hard to tell really.

I'd advise people to get it if they hadnt got an AMD core as yet and wanted to update to one of the newer models, but for someone who already has a Winchester core...I'm really not sure...

Well my winchester isnt even here yet. So i might as well cancel that. This ones better at only like £1 more so i might as well take this one. Im all exited now! In 1-3 days my computer will be working!!

Kewl, yeah, £1 more?! Wow...

You do get quite a few improvments too!

Good luck with it :D

Yeah, a very good system for gaming ;)

It would have been good if you'd already had the Winchester though in a way. You could have compared the two in games for example, and posted results over the two cores...

IGNORE THIS IF YOU WANT :p :

A word of note when I saw about the lighted L.E.D fan though :(...One of mine exausting out heat from the back cracked and it started making a horrid and loud clicking sound. My brother was on the computer at the time and ignored it!!! I mean...it could have been anything, even the CPU fan!

So I opened it up once I went upstairs. All he had to say was "Oh...it startd doing that 10 mins ago", totally oblivious...and found it was one of those that had cracked in the middle, and so useless which was causing it to click as it span up... Will have to get another now, but still have one in that I moved down one space.

The system seems to be running cooler too...surprising...

Should be! Ive been saving for like 6 months! Those of you have been watching my sig will know what I mean...

I've been saving for a while myself, and have changed my plans of buying several times.. but I'm finally set on whats in my sig.. :)

hehe. Post what you think once you get it. That SS3 support would interest me most for 3D, though the memory enhancements seem to make the most of the core as is :)

Back
Top Bottom