amd 2400+

170rwhp

Solid State Member
okay i just came back from bestbuy and i bought a amd 2400+, the guy there said that my mobo wont support it because it is a brand name mobo (compaq), and he went on talking something about proc locking and some other crap, i wanna know if this is true, to know if i have to order a new mobo off newegg.com, i know my ram will work because it runs at 266mhz (pc2100/pc2700), and the fbs is 266mhz, but i just need to know about the mobo, i used sisoftware sandra thing, and it said that the mobo supported 2.00ghz+, so i would assume that it could take the amd, the proc i have right now is an amd 1500+ i think (according to sis, it runs at 1.33 ghz, 256kb on the l2 cache, m4 thunderbird series amd athlon processor)

also the guy said that my comp really didnt run at 1.33ghz but more like 1.8ish, how does that work out

something tells me the bestbuy guy was just telling me that so that i would have to buy a new mobo from them, he kept on getting angery at me, when i tried to ask him a question or brought up a point

btw my model number is 7110us, and the mobo is 070ch
my core is a thunderbird
thnx in advance

Well some magazine I have reviewed all these stores and Best Buy was at their bottom of their list.

You have a Compaq MOBO eh?

Have you tried to put the 2400+ in yet? I would take off your cpu heatsink and then take out your old proceesor and put this one in. That guy is a real moron.

You should be able to put it in fine and make sure your fsb is at 266 in your bios which you say it is.

Couldnt find much on your computer though. The only thing to do is to install it and see if it works.

"and it said that the mobo supported 2.00ghz+"

I think this means up to a Athlon 2000+, I could be wrong. Why not try the CPU in your mobo? If it's incompatible then it just won't boot, or it will try and run at a slower speed. Watch your temperatures (bios - hardware monitor), don't let the CPU get above 60oC. If it does you may need a new heatsink and fan, unless you got them with your athlon chip??

i was searching the web last night and i found this

"I don't know if you ever found an answer to your question but. I have a Compaq 7110US that originally came with Windows ME 2x128MB PC 2100 and a Athlon Tunderbird 1.33GHz.

The motherboard is a Compaq 070Ch, which is even older than your 073Ch and I'm using BIOS: Compaq 786K2 05/03/2001 which is also older than what you have.

I'm currently running an XP2400+ With 1 256MB stick of Crucial and 1 512MB stick of Mushkin PC2100.
Using XP Home as my OS.

Just today, I popped in 2 sticks of 512MB Kingston PC2700 to test them and it recognized and worked just fine with 1GB of memory installed.

I can't tell you what will work for you but I thought this info might help."

heres the link its the last post ( http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,8200280~mode=flat~days=9999~start=20 )

i havent installed it yet, im gonna have my friend install it, because i really dont want to break anything, and im too lazy to find money to buy thermal grease

Make sure he's got some you might fry your chip without thermal paste, or using a crappy heatsinks and fan.

yeah he has something called soemthingsilver im not sure of the name, but i know he has some, because he just recently built his computer

and i bought the retail amd 2400+ so it came with its own heat sink/fan

Artic silver, yeh thats the good stuff! Sounds good, you shoudn't have temperature problems :D your only worry is compatability lol. If you need a new motherboard ask here we'll give you some good advice!

Back
Top Bottom