AM2 vs 939 pin and why?

mayorredbeard said:
isnt amd's answer to conroe am2?

in that case if the benchmarks and numbers predicted by intel are true then it should blow amd away. Unless amd has something else that I havent heard of.

I agree with mayorredbeard. I thought that the AM2 was supposed to compete with Conroe. They are going to sink if that's the case and better get on the ball to get up to Conroe's levels.

They are supposed to release K8L sometime soon, but its going to carry a hefty pricetag. Its supposidly quad core like Kentsfield, which is a quad core Conroe. But we will see. I cant wait till Intel implements their on-die memory controller. :D More memory bandwidth than AMD because its supposed to be designed like ATi's ring bus.

mayorredbeard said:
isnt amd's answer to conroe am2?

in that case if the benchmarks and numbers predicted by intel are true then it should blow amd away. Unless amd has something else that I havent heard of.

Not really. AM2 was just to provide transition ground to DDR2 for AMD. The current Windsor cores are normal K8 cores but with improved memory controllers to work with DDR2. If you're really loyal to AMD, just wait for them to come out with a new core architecture. K9? K10? Who knows...

Anyways, for those of you who don't know, Intel is phasing out Netburst based processors in 2007, meaning all those Prescott, Presler, & Smithfield cored Pentiums will be replaced by their new Core Microarchitecture processors instead.

Oh, and Intel has postponed the official release date for Core 2 Duo to July 27, 2006. It was previously July 23, 2006. :)

Rippy087 said:
Well I'm getting ready to build my second rig. Currently, for roughly the same size, I can get a AM2 mobo and AM2 processor or a 939 mobo with a 939 processor. I know that AM2 is newer technology, put some people are saying that there are RAM issues with it atm? Which would you go with and why for a high end gaming system? I think I might as well wait till jul 24th for the prices to drop so im in no particular hurry right now.

Thanks,
Jake
AM2 has DDR2 support and has newer technology, such as chipset, cache and FSB.

939 is the same exept the cache is lower, lower chipsets and DDR2 is not supported. Nothing different IMO.

Cache depends on the processors. If you have a Athlon X2 4800+ for AM2 and compare it to the counterpart for Socket 939, the cache is the same. Like I said, current AM2 processors are essentially K8 cores with improved memory controllers to handle the DDR2 memory.

AMD has or will discontinue the 2x1MB cache processors. They will change them to 2x256kb cache processors.

Back
Top Bottom