Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-15-2005, 05:11 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Am i a Fool?

Due to certain responses, I have decided to go out and build a computer myself. My newbie question is: do i just go to Fry's and ask someone to help me build it or do i buy some "kit" to help me with compatibility issues? How do i know what can go with what?

Anybody know of any tricks? I was thinkin' going to a Fry's type place and slipping the guy 20$ to help me (ya know, so he does a better job than the 10 bucks an hour their payin em')....what do you guys think?

palladin the II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: Am i a Fool?

tell us ur budget and for what u want to use the computer for and we'll give u a list of parts. Then order them from the internet and put it together urself. This is most likely the cheapest way.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #3
CJ
In Runtime

Or it could turn out to be the most expensive way if you don't know what you're doing.
I started by looking at guides on the Internet. It's really pretty simple but you just have to take precautions such as earthing yourself before touching anything with silicon chips on it.
Get the case, put the Power supply unit in it. Put the CPU and heatsink on the motherboard before putting it in the case. I usually put it on the anti-static mat then ontop of some foam then on a wooden desk. Make sure you ground yourself by either wearing an anti-static wrist band or touch the metal casing of the PC chassis (the case) after you have installed the PSU (power supply unit) plug the cable in to the wall, but do NOT switch either the wall socket on nor the switch at the back of the PSU. Both must be off. The power cable must be attached from the PSU to the wall socket.

After that it's a case of following the motherboard manual and installing the motherboard in the case. There should be sockets or pins that you line up with in the case to match the motherboard holes around the edge.

Next, install the memory, then the CD/DVD drives, Hard drives and finally the Graphics card and/or sound card and any other add-on cards you have. Make sure the cables to the motherboard and power are correct for each device and seated properly.

Power the bitch on and install Windows (or whatever OS you want to use). Install the drivers for the motherboard first. Get a decent antivirus and firewall before going on the Net to update Windows.

Now you can install the latest drivers for the rest of your hardware.
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:36 PM   #4
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to abowlofrice

HAHA u live near a fry's?? its the freakin best store ever!!!! anyways DO NOT ask for the assistant's help to build a computer, they would pick like the best parts for u. building a computer is not jus getting all the parts all in one day(unless u have infinite budget) frys always have those good cpu/mobo combos. like mine, amd 3500+ and a ecs mobo for 200 bucks. very very nice. stuff like memory and vid card, u should buy from online.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

yeah, i made the mistake of buying my vid card (6600 gt) at tigerdirect (the store) and i found out later how great some other ones were for the same price, and regretted it, ask around, look around here for some more stuff about new vid cards
check out the 7800
im gettin one (when i get some money)
Old 11-15-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
In Runtime

Hmm...you COULD ask them to do it, but you don't learn!

Here's a link to a website that shows you how to BUILD your own PC.
Corrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:51 AM   #7
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by palladin the II
Due to certain responses, I have decided to go out and build a computer myself. My newbie question is: do i just go to Fry's and ask someone to help me build it or do i buy some "kit" to help me with compatibility issues? How do i know what can go with what?

Anybody know of any tricks? I was thinkin' going to a Fry's type place and slipping the guy 20$ to help me (ya know, so he does a better job than the 10 bucks an hour their payin em')....what do you guys think?

I'm a smart, arrigant little punk 15 year old, and I can do it. I'm pretty sure you can too! Just take it slowly and you can put it together... I was really impatient (being a teenager) and just HAD to build it the first say I got it. I skipped the instructions since the ones that came with my motherboard were there for show because the motherboard was an expert board, it ended up taking me 5 days, and I think I broke the primary IDE slot. As an end result, I have to take my case apart if I want to use a cdrom.

You can do it better! Hopefully, you're older than me and you have more wisdom. Believe me, if yu build your computer with custom parts, not only will you feel better, but if you go to a LAN party, you can brag and say, "Oh yea, well I BUILT my PC, you fools!"!

The overall picture to see is that not only do you feel better about yourself, you get it done, it's upgradeable, easy to install, and you LEARN. It's just plain old productive, and in this world you have to be productive, so why not start off with getting something done that you would like to do.
HRHunteRHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:57 AM   #8
AOD
In Runtime

yeah i'm 14 and i can do it so hey XD i just learnt from books and internet and **** and also forums like this 1 XD and from people i kno aswell
Old 11-16-2005, 08:32 AM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHunteRHR
Believe me, if yu build your computer with custom parts, not only will you feel better, but if you go to a LAN party, you can brag and say, "Oh yea, well I BUILT my PC, you fools!"!
it does make u feel alot better.

I don't know to what kind of lan parties u go, but usually like 90% of the ppl have built their own computer, or atleast have a custom one. So it's not really anything to go bragging about.

And it's funny when u say "I can do it" after it took u 5 days to build one, and u managed to destroy an IDE slot.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:09 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to macbook

Its not hard to build them, the motherboard comes with instructions that make it easy to make.