Am I being Bait and Switched?

jimhokie

Beta member
I'm not one to stay at the leading edge of computing technology. My main computer is a circa 2002 Dell Dimension 4400, that has become so slow that is it very annoying to use, so I am finally trying to replace it. I don't need a brand new computer even though they are relatively cheap these days, but figured I'd be very satisfied with a refurbished computer that is still a few years old but light years ahead of what I have now for a fraction of the cost of a new computer. My only requirement was to have some version of Windows 7.

So I ordered a refurbished "Windows 7 Professional, Dell 745 Optiplex Desktop Computer, Featuring Intel's Powerful & Efficient 3.4GHz Pentium D Dual Core CPU Processor" off Amazon. The day after ordering it, I received a notice that it had been shipped followed by an email from the company saying that they "upgraded" the computer they sent me at no additional cost. How nice of them. I was born on a Saturday, but not last Saturday, so I was instantly skeptical. The upgraded computer is a Dell OptiPlex 780 with an Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.6GHz. Granted, the model is a later version, but it appeared to me the processor speed is slower than what I ordered. In two separate email responses to my questions about it, they maintain that the 2.6GHz dual core is "nearly twice as fast" as the 3.4GHz processor that I ordered, and in the second email contended that the one they sent is faster despite the slower clock speed because it was "dual core", overlooking the fact that the one I ordered was also "dual core", but 3.4 vs. 2.6GHz.

I'm not extremely computer savvy, but I'm not an idiot either. Is there any argument that the 2.6GHz processor they sent me is actually "nearly twice as fast" as the 3.4GHz processor that I ordered considering that they are both dual core? I think they are bait and switching me. Their argument is based solely on the combination of clock speed and the contention that the one they sent is dual core and the one I ordered is not (but the description of what I ordered clearly states dual core). They also sent a link listing the chronological order in which the chips came out as proof the one they sent is "newer" than what I ordered.

The rating of the company I ordered from was 100%, which was the deciding factor in my decision to order from them. So I'm really surprised I'm having this issue right now. Any info would be appreciated to help me decide if I want to keep the one they sent or return it.

Question: Intel Pentium D 3.40 GHz v. Pentium Dual-Core E5300 2.60 GHz?

Answer: the latter is (much) more powerful, the "nearly twice as fast" statement is accurate

A few notes:
  • Don't shop based on shop ratings
  • Don't judge CPU based on GHz numbers

Try finding the exact model names and post it here. Both are dual core, but the latter is not clear to be NOT Pentium D or some other variant of lets say economy choice. If it is Core2Duo then definitely it is way much faster.

Some technologies change how CPU's process data and Intel after Pentium D improved a lot in this.

Also make sure about the other components. They might have explained the upgrade in the CPU department, but who knows about the others.

I think your Dell OptiPlex 780 has an Intel® Core™2 Quad processor.

Download Speccy if you don't have it and run. It'll tell you what it is for sure.

Back
Top Bottom