For all the AMD fans

Either way, these are going to be insanly powerfull CPUs. So really, all it really comes down to is how much bang for the buck you would get.

pretty much, but Intel is becoming very competetive in pricing. If you look on this forum, i posted the prices a while back. Very very good pricing IMO.

Socket Am2 is nothing more then just a motherboard that uses DDR2, that's it. There's no performance to be gained other then RAM timings and latencies. It's just a conversion from DDR to DDR2. Plain and simple.

Sorry Distortion, but typing in bold is kind of my thing. I liek text that I can clearly see and read, I have vision problems, so it makes it difficult to see some of the time. Sorry if it's an inconvience to you, but to me, it's good, and ultimately that's what matters, not to be mean or rude in any sort of way, I'm just saying. :)

And Socket F is more of a step foreward then Socket AM2 is. Socket F is where the Opteron and new Intel server will duke it out. It's boring to see desktops battle it out all the time, I want to see the Xeon with Core Architecture and an Opteron duke it out. Conroe and X2 can wait, bring on the server processors! :D

Yes, this whole, "My Athlon pwnz ur Prescott" crap is getting old. Not to mention, with the X2's it's brought on a whole new fanboy frenzy. In reality, Server CPUs is really what makes the world go round. :p

When you game, you join a server, to run that server they probably are using either a Xeon or an Opteron. I think that if they used better server CPUs, then that would help your PC out as well. Possibly improve pings, although that's more Internet Connection based then anything, but the faster the server can process, it should lead to better pings.

That's what the gaming community needs, not a Conroe or an X2, but rather better server CPUs. Seeing as how when you game you join a server, that server had better have somethign good powering it, I'll say that much. :p I only see the X2/64 or Prescott/Pentium D benefiting in a LAN game more then anything else.

In either case however, anything the market has to offer, I'm all for it, new technologies are great, espcially when targeted to the gaming audience, which overall is what generally influences what the CPU manufacturers do. ;)

i really like this competition thing. b/c the sooner newer stuff comes out, the cheaper everything else will be. :D

GenoXide said:
Socket Am2 is nothing more then just a motherboard that uses DDR2, that's it. There's no performance to be gained other then RAM timings and latencies. It's just a conversion from DDR to DDR2. Plain and simple.

Sorry Distortion, but typing in bold is kind of my thing. I liek text that I can clearly see and read, I have vision problems, so it makes it difficult to see some of the time. Sorry if it's an inconvience to you, but to me, it's good, and ultimately that's what matters, not to be mean or rude in any sort of way, I'm just saying. :)

And Socket F is more of a step foreward then Socket AM2 is. Socket F is where the Opteron and new Intel server will duke it out. It's boring to see desktops battle it out all the time, I want to see the Xeon with Core Architecture and an Opteron duke it out. Conroe and X2 can wait, bring on the server processors! :D

There is a difference when going from DDR to DDR2, DDR2 by itself provides more memory bandwidth than DDR. Sure the latencies are high, but the bandwidth makes up for it. Thats why AMD said they will support DDR2-800 because they noticed that using DDR2-667 doesnt provide enough bandwidth and their processors take a hit with the latencies.

Im probably going to stay with socket 939 for a while because I think I still have a lot of room to upgrade with it.

On kind of an unrealtaed question does anyone know when Intel/AMD will start using DDR3?

Intel is probably the one to use DDR3 first, and its probably giong to be late 2007. S939 has a lot of room left. If i were in a rush to get a computer i would wait for AM2 to come out and grab a nice S939 setup.

Back
Top Bottom