For all the AMD fans

People people people. settle down. You can't argue that AM2 is better when benchmarks beg to differ, by a huge margin I might add. In reality the Conroe, wether you want to recognize it or not, is a better CPU, by almost 20% over the FX-60 and X2 4800+. Until AMD releases a new architecture or die size, don't expect to see AMD winning for awhile.

People, the facts are very clear, and very much out there and widely open to those who want to see them. Anandtech.com is a reliable source and has also done a failry good benchmark of the Conroe, as has XtremeSystems, anyone who has browsed the Processors Section will notice this. Just take ten minutes, search for a benchmark of Conroe against any AMD processor, and you will clearly see how much better the Conroe is in terms of performance and power consumption.

The Conroe uses as much power as the very first Intel Pentium did. The Merom uses even less. But hey, if you really want to get down to it, the Conroe is a better CPU, it saves you more money! You know that thing you pay each month, the elcetricity bill? Well, if you want, you can get an AMD processor, use more power, and end up paying a larger bill, or, get a Conroe, and save hundreds each year due to it's much lower power consumption.

But hey, who am I to tell you how to spend your money? :p

it seems AMD is doing what Microsoft is doing. they are releasing their product before their opponent so that consumers have their product(xbox360 or AM2). and when their opponents(Sony or Intel) release there products, nobody will/can buy it cuz they already spent their money on the other product. smart strategy if u ask me.

GenoXide said:
People people people. settle down. You can't argue that AM2 is better when benchmarks beg to differ, by a huge margin I might add. In reality the Conroe, wether you want to recognize it or not, is a better CPU, by almost 20% over the FX-60 and X2 4800+. Until AMD releases a new architecture or die size, don't expect to see AMD winning for awhile.

People, the facts are very clear, and very much out there and widely open to those who want to see them. Anandtech.com is a reliable source and has also done a failry good benchmark of the Conroe, as has XtremeSystems, anyone who has browsed the Processors Section will notice this. Just take ten minutes, search for a benchmark of Conroe against any AMD processor, and you will clearly see how much better the Conroe is in terms of performance and power consumption.

The Conroe uses as much power as the very first Intel Pentium did. The Merom uses even less. But hey, if you really want to get down to it, the Conroe is a better CPU, it saves you more money! You know that thing you pay each month, the elcetricity bill? Well, if you want, you can get an AMD processor, use more power, and end up paying a larger bill, or, get a Conroe, and save hundreds each year due to it's much lower power consumption.

But hey, who am I to tell you how to spend your money? :p

That was very informative, thank you, but i think we all already knew that. I'm not sure who you are trying to argue against.

Despite those who buy AM2, there will be just as many to counter that sale and will buy Conroe. Either way, AMD and Intel just got a lot more money for thei companies. And truth be told, that's what matters. It's not who has the best processor, who's faster, or whatever, it's hwo brings in the most cash, and ultimately, Intel is dominating in that area, with roughly more money then AMD by about 10 times, I much rather be working at Intel then AMD, despite who may have the better product.

Although, for those of us that game or liek to multitask, the Conroe offers both, as does the X2 family of processors. In either case, fi you get an Athlon 64 X2 5000+ on Socket AM2 or a Conroe on LGA775, you're goign to have an amazing PC and you'll be able to do things that most others dream of, and realistically speaking, not to many people can afford, or even want to spend, the amoutn of money that Conroe and the 5000+ cost.

Which is why people turn to the older technologies, such being the X2 line up on Socket 939. Their prices are going to go down here very soon, meaning an X2 3800+ is looking liek a better idea then say getting an Athlon 3800+ on Socket AM2. Either way, the products some of us want are going to become more available, which is a good thing. Expect to see Socket 939 take off once again. :p

Distortion88 said:
That was very informative, thank you, but i think we all already knew that. I'm not sure who you are trying to argue against.

I'm arguing to those who say AM2 is better, when in reality, it is not. It was directed to the first few guys who were jumping for joy that AM2 was good, when its only improvement is to that of its predocessor, Socket 939. Which really isn't that big of a deal. The only thign AM2 has going for it is DDR2 memory and nothign more. I'm waiting for the K10 Architecture rather then a stupid DDR2 Socket.

ownage said:
Conroe beats AM2 in gaming.

Yeah, brutally. I recall seeing benchmarks where the 2.66ghz conroe beat the FX-60 and 57 to a bloody pulp.

But this is just for high end CPUs. Me, i'm still a mid-ranger. thats why i'm getting the system you see in my signature. Nothing overly special, but still a force to be reckoned with in the gaming world. Amd will probably still beat intel in price-performance, which is what matters more to me than the performance of the top models. Only people with money to burn end up getting those.. unless they want to pull a mortgage.. lol

GenoXide said:

Which is why people turn to the older technologies, such being the X2 line up on Socket 939. Their prices are going to go down here very soon, meaning an X2 3800+ is looking liek a better idea then say getting an Athlon 3800+ on Socket AM2.

3800 x2

There is only a 13 dollar difforece right now...

EDIT: Never mine, I did not see the AM2 part...sorry.

GenoXide said:
I'm arguing to those who say AM2 is better, when in reality, it is not. It was directed to the first few guys who were jumping for joy that AM2 was good, when its only improvement is to that of its predocessor, Socket 939. Which really isn't that big of a deal. The only thign AM2 has going for it is DDR2 memory and nothign more. I'm waiting for the K10 Architecture rather then a stupid DDR2 Socket.

Well, technically AM2 is better than the 939...but barely...I agree that it is a pretty stupid upgrade if anyone wants to spend all the money to make the switch. Definitely not worth it in my books. What is this K10 architecture you speak of? Im not sure i have heard about that yet.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you please stop posting in bold. And double posting isnt exactly proper forum etiquette.

Back
Top Bottom