Alienware m17x graphic problem

ammar11111

Beta member
Hello, I have an alienware m17x with core 2 extreme, 4gb ram and 2gb dual nvidia 260 gtx SLI. Got in in December something.

The day I got this laptop it had an issue..and that was it used to get stuck randomly, so I did a registry fixer and it managed to reduce the number of freezes, but today it again got stuck and when I did the power button laptop started to act funny.
For eg I was playing generals zero hour and the whole screen started to...like..you know when you switch on a tv and there is no picture only static...like in " the ring ", Anyways I rebooted and it started working normally. I always use the laptop on SLI enabled mode

I started to play world of warcraft and it usually works fine with full graphic options, but this time random stuff used to come in the screen, then once I again rebooted the computer and it started to work fine...until it got stuck.
Then the blue screens started to come saying nvidiaknl display driver error...windows has recovered from a serious error. These kept coming, So I reseted to factory configurations..it was working fine untill once again..the computer froze.

Now when ever I use on SLI mode its get stuck after a while :/, but it works fine when SLI is not running or its on safe mode.

I wanted to know that is the card like physically damaged or something? Or is it a driver issue because I checked on device manager it said that the drivers are upto date.
Also when I was selecting the configs for this alienware the option was written as
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M, 2GB – SLI® Enabled
Does this mean there are supposed to be 2 SLI cards in the system? Or does the SLI thing come with one old card and one new card because on dx diag it shows a 9400 geforce when not plugged and when plugged 260m

I called dell, I was on wait for more than an hour :/ kept getting transferd to random sales who asked me the same thing..my name and phone number..
Googled it but couldnt find a solution...

I am sorry if its like really long, Thanks for replys
-Ammar

It sounds like your graphics card is bad, and that is entirely possible.

If you got it in December than it should still be under warranty so I suggest you send it in for repair, even if the dell representatives want to dance around the subject.

Back
Top Bottom