Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Alienware m17x graphic problem

Hello, I have an alienware m17x with core 2 extreme, 4gb ram and 2gb dual nvidia 260 gtx SLI. Got in in December something.

The day I got this laptop it had an issue..and that was it used to get stuck randomly, so I did a registry fixer and it managed to reduce the number of freezes, but today it again got stuck and when I did the power button laptop started to act funny.
For eg I was playing generals zero hour and the whole screen started to...like..you know when you switch on a tv and there is no picture only static...like in " the ring ", Anyways I rebooted and it started working normally. I always use the laptop on SLI enabled mode

I started to play world of warcraft and it usually works fine with full graphic options, but this time random stuff used to come in the screen, then once I again rebooted the computer and it started to work fine...until it got stuck.
Then the blue screens started to come saying nvidiaknl display driver error...windows has recovered from a serious error. These kept coming, So I reseted to factory configurations..it was working fine untill once again..the computer froze.

Now when ever I use on SLI mode its get stuck after a while :/, but it works fine when SLI is not running or its on safe mode.

I wanted to know that is the card like physically damaged or something? Or is it a driver issue because I checked on device manager it said that the drivers are upto date.
Also when I was selecting the configs for this alienware the option was written as
Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M, 2GB – SLI® Enabled
Does this mean there are supposed to be 2 SLI cards in the system? Or does the SLI thing come with one old card and one new card because on dx diag it shows a 9400 geforce when not plugged and when plugged 260m

I called dell, I was on wait for more than an hour :/ kept getting transferd to random sales who asked me the same thing..my name and phone number..
Googled it but couldnt find a solution...

I am sorry if its like really long, Thanks for replys

ammar11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: Alienware m17x graphic problem

It sounds like your graphics card is bad, and that is entirely possible.

If you got it in December than it should still be under warranty so I suggest you send it in for repair, even if the dell representatives want to dance around the subject.
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO | 4gb DDR3 GSkill | 550W Corsair power supply | AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1ghz(Unlocked 2 extra cores) | Sapphire 4870 512mb | 500gb Samsung |21.5" 1080p Hdmi Dell monitor| 21.6" Samsung monitor | RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WG | Windows 7 Ultimate Signature Edition
CBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote