Alchohol 120%

BobbyDRZA

Baseband Member
I was trying to reinstall my copy of one of the Sims 2 expansion packs after doing a fresh install of Windows and it was unable to finish installing and I discovered that the disc had a crack in it. I tried to make a copy of it and it finished but since it is copy protected the blank disc showed no files on it after burning so I am curious to whether something like alchohol 120% is able to copy a disc with copy protection just so I can have a backup copy of my game so I can avoid paying to buy another copy.

Alcohol advertises that it can burn copy protected games but has proved unsuccessful in the times I have tried. You can try copying all the files on the disc onto the harddrive to a folder (eg. Desktop\Sims 2) then use Nero or something to burn those files to a disc. Just a suggestion.

Matt

I was trying to reinstall my copy of one of the Sims 2 expansion packs after doing a fresh install of Windows and it was unable to finish installing and I discovered that the disc had a crack in it. I tried to make a copy of it and it finished but since it is copy protected the blank disc showed no files on it after burning so I am curious to whether something like alchohol 120% is able to copy a disc with copy protection just so I can have a backup copy of my game so I can avoid paying to buy another copy.
It's illegal to copy a disc with copy protection, I would have thought was obvious, the clue is in the words, "copy protection":rolleyes:

It's illegal to copy a disc with copy protection, I would have thought was obvious, the clue is in the words, "copy protection":rolleyes:
No it's not. As long as you actually own the game, you can back it up however you want...

Copy protection is for example to prevent you from burning a game for your friends.

^^ that would probably depend on the country.
Bypassing copy protection is illegal in some places, in some places you can do it if it's for your own use.

Anyway, alcohol 120% might be able to do it, worth a try. I have tried it only once and wasn't able to get past the copy protection, but some people say that alcohol 120% works.

And if it doesn't you could always just download the expansion as a torrent, and use the cd key that you have.

Back
Top Bottom