Airflow

dhaval_1920

In Runtime
Hi...I needed some help with airflow in my system. I have 3 spots for fans (including PSU fan). I was wondering if I should have more air intake or should get more air out......I have:

2 x 120mm Fans (a case fan and a PSU fan both at the back) and
1 x 90 mm side panel fan

plz help...thanx in advance.....

2 x 120mm ---> exhause
1 x 90 ---> intake (if there is no other intake)

If you have front intake, make the 90mm exhaust.

ownage said:
2 x 120mm ---> exhause
1 x 90 ---> intake (if there is no other intake)

If you have front intake, make the 90mm exhaust.

yep, thats how I'd do it. But even if u have a front fan as intake I'd leave the side fine for intake too.

Side should be exhaust if you can. If you set it as intake, it disrupts the airflow in the case.

A good rule of thumb is never figure the psu fan in the airflow equation. They're doing good keeping the psu cooled off.
But as for the side fan it would depend on where it is on the side panel. If up high near the cpu and the other fans on the back, I'd make it an exhaust fan. But if down low near the pci and vid cards, I'd make it an intake. Help circulate air on the cards.
Now as for the front and back fans, balanced airflow is the key to a happy machine. If you use a 90 in the back use a 90 in the front.
Now one other thing. ANY holes in the case that don't have a fan or a device parked in them, tape them up. Air leaks will reduce the efficiency of the cooling.

setishock said:
A good rule of thumb is never figure the psu fan in the airflow equation. They're doing good keeping the psu cooled off.
But as for the side fan it would depend on where it is on the side panel. If up high near the cpu and the other fans on the back, I'd make it an exhaust fan. But if down low near the pci and vid cards, I'd make it an intake. Help circulate air on the cards.
Now as for the front and back fans, balanced airflow is the key to a happy machine. If you use a 90 in the back use a 90 in the front.
Now one other thing. ANY holes in the case that don't have a fan or a device parked in them, tape them up. Air leaks will reduce the efficiency of the cooling.

I have Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case.....so now you know where all the fans are located and as per PSU fan...I have 2 fans on my PSU.....one is at the back of psu and the other is at the bottom inside of psu...

That side panel fan looks like it's pretty much in line with the processor, in that case, I'd have it as an intake fan so it draws in fresh cool air for the processor.
A good rule of thumb is that you should have equal fans for intake and exhaust, so if you have 1 120mm exhaust fan, you should have 1 120mm intake fan.

Back
Top Bottom