Air Flow Question

ClevelandOwnz

Solid State Member
Okay So I am building a computer, my first at that and have a couple questions on how my airflow should be. My case is a Corsair 500R, it has two intake fans on the front, one on the side, and one exhaust fan in the back. Where my question comes into play is I also have an Corsair H100i Water Cooler and it says that I should make those two fans connected to the radiator (on the top) be intake for best results. I know that it way too much intake for the little amount of exhaust. What does everyone suggest I do?

Corsair H100i CPU Cooler Review (Hardware Secrets ... page 4)

> Corsair H100i CPU Cooler Review | Hardware Secrets

000067_zpse478c7b9.png

The fans must be installed as exhaust.

My computer build is going to be:
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel i7 3770k
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw X series 16GB
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HD: WD Black 2TB
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 680

---------- Post added at 03:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

Corsair H100i CPU Cooler Review (Hardware Secrets ... page 4)

> Corsair H100i CPU Cooler Review | Hardware Secrets

000067_zpse478c7b9.png

This is what it says in the manual "Attach the radiator and the fans as shown. For the best cooling performance, we recommend mounting the fans as an air-intake to your pc case"

The manual is right, the air outside the case is cooler than the air inside the case, so setting it as intake will provide the best cooling performance for the processor. That doesn't mean it'll be the best for the overall performance of the system. Objective testing is required to know what will be best for your system.

Setup A:
Intake front 2 & h100
Output - side, rear & psu

Setup B:
Intake - front 2 & side
Output - rear, h100 & psu

A is better CPU cooling and B should be better over all while sacrificing CPU temps, especially if your gpu runs hot.

FWIW, I have a closed loop liquid cooler and the fan setup is pulling air from inside the case and blowing it out. Then again I also have 3 intake fans bring fresh air in.

My CPU never goes above 45C and is overclocked, running at 3.8 GHz.

The manual is right, the air outside the case is cooler than the air inside the case, so setting it as intake will provide the best cooling performance for the processor. That doesn't mean it'll be the best for the overall performance of the system. Objective testing is required to know what will be best for your system.

Setup A:
Intake front 2 & h100
Output - side, rear & psu

Setup B:
Intake - front 2 & side
Output - rear, h100 & psu

A is better CPU cooling and B should be better over all while sacrificing CPU temps, especially if your gpu runs hot.

I have seen a lot of people doing it as exhaust ... but I will be overclocking it prob to about 4.4 - so that is the only thing I am worried about. Also I have the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 which prob will help a little bit. I'm thinking about doing dual graphic cards so Setup B is probably the best overall for my set up. Do you think it will be decent with the overclocking?

Also I just upgraded my rear exhaust fan to a 140 now.

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

FWIW, I have a closed loop liquid cooler and the fan setup is pulling air from inside the case and blowing it out. Then again I also have 3 intake fans bring fresh air in.

My CPU never goes above 45C and is overclocked, running at 3.8 GHz.

if I do have it as exhaust, Id have two 120 in the front then a 200 on the side so as intake, which would be more than enough I feel? I just am worrying about overclocking my CPU to 4.4 and if it being exhaust will hurt that.

Someone said it will only be a 2C degree diff between intake and exhaust so i think I will just to them as exhaust.

Back
Top Bottom