after formatting hardrive it only shows 32G of 120G??

rich denney

Beta member
a friend formatted my new120g hardrive with windows ME and basically it only gave me 32gigs of the 120 it was supposed to be..the reason for this i found out afterwards,is that ME can not recognise large drives?along with2000,98...anyways,we seemed to have alot of problemsformatting and reformatting and getting a OS to work.eventually my friend put win98 on and then tryed putting XP over the top of that??i was well confused by then...so the end product,was that i ended up with a 120g drive being 32g and the format??is ntfs..i hav bin on another forum and hav been left a few ideas.these ideas were to go into control panel and work my way to disk managment.within that iwas suppsoed to be able to right click on that drive and partition and format from there??but i couldnt do it...iv bin told that this is only a cosmetic problem and is not ireversible??but then sum one else has said that i hav to settle for a 32g hardrive and forgot the rest??please help

rich denney said:
a friend formatted my hardrive with windows ME and to cut along story short its now only showing 32gigs of the 120gigs its supposed to be..i put the drive in my computer and used the XP on my other drive to try and format the new drive,but that didnt work....so im stuck for ideas..thanks for everyone who leaves their messages

You know how to FDisk? as it seems that your HDD has been split into a few partitions.

If you dont know how to FDisk, i could help to a point, but im sure one of the other members will be able to help more than me with it :)

Back
Top Bottom