Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-20-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default adware help plz help

my friend got adware on his computer by clicking a link that showed up in aim saying is this pc good in myspace or somthing he thpught some send it to him that he knew. so his PC started slowing down and pop ups coming up every where. he said that his norton and adware se dont delete him. do ihave to reformat his pc or is there a way to get rid of the adware

eclipsex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: adware help plz help

Try Spybot Search and Destroy and an online scan at BitDefender before you think of formatting, also try a system restore, it works sometimes. Also empty Temporary Internet files and delete cookies.

Deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsex2
my friend got adware on his computer by clicking a link that showed up in aim saying is this pc good in myspace or somthing he thpught some send it to him that he knew. so his PC started slowing down and pop ups coming up every where. he said that his norton and adware se dont delete him. do ihave to reformat his pc or is there a way to get rid of the adware
You could suggets he use Spyware Doctor and Spybot Search & Destroy. Perhaps try defragging his hard drive as well, it might help it run better.
Erich K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

Be sure to boot into safe mode. Also.. Try Avira anti virus, it works great for anything!
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

yeah boot in safe mode and then run all your antivirus crap and spy cleaner stuffs
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Are you getting any specific error messages or popups that come up frequently? If you are, please paste them and I will research on what adware they are symptoms of...

Like the others said, boot with safe mode. Also Run-->msconfig--> startup. And uncheck any unknown items.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
In Runtime

I use Spyboy Search and Destroy and it works great.
gollun56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Spysweeper is good I use that but you have to buy it, they recently upgraded to version 5 and it's not as good as it used to be in my opinion it takes up too much memory so I might switch to counterspy. I also use the anti-malware thing that Kaspersky has in it and it works better than spysweeper. I had a bunch of crap I didn't know about and it got rid of it (you can get a 30day trial of this from www.kaspersky.com). Windows Defender is ok but i've found that for really serious infections, it's not that great in my experience. You could also download HiJackThis and post a log here and someone could help you out. HiJackThis is a great tool to use when you've got adware that just won't go away.