AdviceFromSomeExperiencedCompBuilders

riot138

Beta member
Hello,
Long story short I just bought a dell xpsm1210 and am getting a few blue screens of deathwith this and the fps when playing hl2 im returning this.
This is where your advice comes in. I will be replacing this with a another dell laptop but my questions is

will the xps m1710 thats is $1000 more perform better then the inspiron9400 with worse specs

specs are as follows:
Inspiron
cpu: t2600 duo core 2.16GHz 667MHz fsb
Ram: 1GB ddr2 667MHz
HD:80GB 7200 RPM
VidCard: GeForce 7900gs
Wirlss:Dell Wireless 1500 Draft 802.11n Dual-band Internal Wireless, Bluetooth
Monitor:17inch
price:$2099cdn

XPS m1710
cpu: t2600 duo core 2.16GHz 667MHz fsb
Ram: 1GB ddr2 667MHz
HD:80GB 7200 RPM
VidCard: GeForce 7900gs
Wirlss: standard wireless card
Monitor:17inch
price: $3099cdn

so with all that listed I portability really isnt to big of a deal neither is battery life or looks. I just want a computer that I can game on. All I really want to know is will the cheaper computer with the faster processor perform as well if not better then the XPSm1710.

Thanks in advance
p.s if anyone can explain why the huge price difference that would be great
e.g. to upgrade cpu from the t2400 to the t2600 in the inspiron is $70 and the same upgrade in the XPS is $520?

There is a lot more to both systems than you have listed. DVD dual layer burners for a laptop can get pricey all on their own. Other items like sound systems can make a difference. And of course the High Def video can zoom a price to the moon. So there's a lot to figure in besides a fancy cpu and vid system as far as factoring prices. As for the upgrades costing so differently. One just requires a cpu chip to be swapped out while the other requires the motherboard to be swapped also.

You know of Alienware?

Well with the XPS what you are doing is paying for the name line. XPS is Dells best line, and its known for being 'great' and on the flip side, though good, they come with a hefty price tag.

Really, the only different you will see out of the computers, is battery life. Im sure the Inspiron has a 6 cell, and im sure the XPS comes with a 9cell. Also, the wireless speed and connection might not be as good, but thats an easy and rather cheap upgrade.

Id save the thousand dollars and get the Inspiron.

And for the record, I have an Entertainment line PC from dell, however its just as good as its 2000+ dollar XPS counterpart.

(I got the computer before I knew anything about computers:p)

yah specs are almost identical as for screens and burners. And I really dont care about burners or sound quality, the screen quality is an issue but not a $1000 issue. basically I just want to know will the inspiron perform as well the xps or is there something that isnt listed in the sites specs that would have an effect on performace.

Well, what happens, is that you dont get the quality parts in the Inspiron as you would in the XPS.

ArrizX said:
You know of Alienware?

Well with the XPS what you are doing is paying for the name line. XPS is Dells best line, and its known for being 'great' and on the flip side, though good, they come with a hefty price tag.

Really, the only different you will see out of the computers, is battery life. Im sure the Inspiron has a 6 cell, and im sure the XPS comes with a 9cell. Also, the wireless speed and connection might not be as good, but thats an easy and rather cheap upgrade.

Id save the thousand dollars and get the Inspiron.

And for the record, I have an Entertainment line PC from dell, however its just as good as its 2000+ dollar XPS counterpart.

(I got the computer before I knew anything about computers:p)
i agree, with arrizx, the only diff, is battery life.

Back
Top Bottom