Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-12-2004, 08:24 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Advice on video capture

I want the ability to take video from my 8mm camcorder, DVR for my satellite tv and my old vcr tapes and burn them to dvd. Do I need an internal video capture card in my PC or an external capture device? I am not extremely concerned with editing, just want to get the stuff onto a dvd. I have a dvd burner, my 'puter is a 2.4 GHz pentium 4 with usb2 but no firewire. What is my best option? Money is a concern, this will be a Christmas present (everybody keeps asking what I want) and I want a good balance between quality and price. Thanks for the help!

calvin02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:13 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
Send a message via AIM to The_Other_One
Default Re: Advice on video capture

I assume your camcorder is simply 8mm and no Digital8? If it is Digital8(IE has a firewire port on it) I'd suggest just getting a firewire card. You will get wonderful quality out of it, and you can just play your other videos though your camera(VCR, ETC)

If you don't... Well, I'd recomend an internal capture card of some sort. I don't know all the different kinds, but I could say you'd wnat one that captures at least 640x480x30FPS. if you could find one that could capture in MPEG2 realtime, that would probably be your best bet. Less conversion required, and you'd be more sure of the qualtiy. Some of these others could have really crappy quality(I've learned that the hard way...)
The_Other_One is offline   Reply With Quote