Advice on new build

andy1027

In Runtime
Hi Guys, I've got a reasonable amount of experience building PCs but I always like to seek advice through discussion incase their is anything to learn, especially considering I haven't built a PC in roughly two years now.

I am looking to build a new PC and I am seeking to check the hardware requirements that I would need to aim for.

Display
I am seeking to run up to x2 monitors at 2560 x 1440 resolution.*
I currently use x1 Dell U2515H which has the following connections: DP, black connector (includes DP in and DP out); Mini DisplayPort; HDMI (MHL); USB 3.0

I might get another monitor but I wouldn't likely get another Dell U2515H (I couldn't afford one lol) but if I do get another monitor it would need to support the same resolution (2560x1440)

So in other words up to two monitors at 2560x1440.

Usage

I tend to use Photoshop, Illustrator, PremierePro (sometimes), Techsmith snagit, Camstasia, Office, Outlook 2016, Google Chrome, Teamviewer, Visual Studio, Spotify.

What spec should I be aiming for that could run all of this comfortably.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Forums mobile app

Anything will run that software. For 2 monitors you might want a dedicated GPU card, but the integrated intel graphics on the skylake could probably do it too.
This is pretty wide open as to what you want to use in the build. Have fun.

I would recommend a CPU like the I5-6500 or I5-6600.
As for the motherboard, if you want to run the system without a dedicated graphic card, you could get the Asus Z170-A.
It has both a HDMI and a display port.

The RAM is DDR4. Anything will work really. recommend a 2x4 kit.
Buy some from a reliable brand.

PSU. Something modular at 600W with 80+ bronze or better. You can properly reuse the one you have already.

Aye, to build on the above, if you're a heavy user of Premiere, then you'll benefit from a dedicated graphics card. As far as I know, Nvidias "CUDA" technology is still superior when it comes to that piece of software (I'm not too out of date I think), so if it fits your budget, adding an Nvidia GTX1060 or something like that will improve video rendering speeds. If you're only a light user then no real need though.

8GB of RAM and i5 6500 seems to be the standard for a performance machine these days, 250GB (or more) SSD (Samsung EVO or similar) for your OS with a larger mechanical HDD alongside (1 or 2TB is probably a good shout) and a decent PSU.

If you want to use it as a media machine as well, then it might be worth fitting a Blu-Ray drive, but a lot of items are downloaded these days so that is probably surplus to requirements. I would fit at the minimum a DVD drive though for legacy purposes.

My dilemma is with the video card.

Because my monitor res is 2560 x 1440.. if I ended up with two of them.. then I want my video card to be able to handle it..

Currently I have the Asus GTX 680 DC20-2005:

Will it be powerful enough to comfortably run up to x2 2560x1440?
It has an HDMI and Display port, is it possible to dual display using both of these connections? Or should I buy a new card to meet performance

Thanks

Hey man hows it going? This computer setup listed below will run you about $450 and it can handle dual screens. It was initially made as a gaming computer but I think it will fit your needs nicely and also isn't that expensive.

Computer Case: VIVO ATX Mid Tower Computer Gaming PC Case
Power Supply: EVGA 500 W1 80+, 500W Continuous Power Supply
CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard
Hard Drive: WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s
DVD Drive: LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti SC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Memory Modules: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Memory

Back
Top Bottom