Advice on choosing a computer.

Spartacus210

Solid State Member
Recently I've been searching around for a new computer. However grateful I am to my father for giving me his (after mine broke), my current computer is a piece of junk for gaming (I'm not even sure if it has a graphics card), and I'm looking for a new one. To put it simply, a gaming computer.

Now I'm not a hardcore gamer. I don't stay up late into the wee hours of the morn playing CSS. I'm also kinda broke. Being only in high-school makes for not a large amount of money. In short, I'm looking for a budget machine. I don't mean the $800 piece of junk you call a gaming computer. In the $1500-2000 range would be fantastic, $2250-2500 as the absolute maximum.

Now I've cruised around a little bit. Saw the Dell computer, the XPS. My neighbor has one (XPS 600), I played on it. It did well. But I also talked to some friends of mine, who say stay away from Dell (their gaming computer is also $3200, so theres another reason to drop it).

I checked up on Alienware, expecting to find some overpriced holy grail of gaming rigs. I was pleasantly surprised to find many, much more budget options for a gaming computer, with system specs that weren't all that bad. Though I would play around with the customizability, this looks like a good option.

Another thing I've considered is to build my own (again*). I found some sexy cases online (on recommendation from a friend). However, remembering the process of making my own a few years ago, it was daunting. I did have my dad and a technician to help out (/build the damned thing...cut me some slack, I was 11 at the time!), but it was still tough.

In conclusion (finally, I know) is I'm looking for advice. I'm not a hardcore gamer, and am on a semi-tight budget. Between these options, what would be my best choice? Or is there even a choice I'm not thinking of? Speak up! I'm relatively new to this whole business, so I need all the help I can get. Thanks.

Endnote: I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, seeing as forum descriptions were kind of indistinct, so I'm cross-posting this to the Rapid Gaming forums too.

*-Back in '01 my christmas present was a custom-built gaming rig. It was beautiful; state-of-the-art for its time. Then it got outdated and turned into a complete piece of junk. And broke. I'm running on my Dad's old work PC (which is obviously not tuned for gaming).

your friends were right to tell u to stay away from dell, u should build your own computer and with that budget u could build a very very nice one, if u would like me to list what i would recommend just say the word and i'll list all the peices for a very nice gaming comp

I'd build your own. You'll save a lot of money, and it will be a good learning experience in the process. Poke around on Newegg, find some stuff you like, and check back here and see what we have to say.

Thanks a lot guys. The main reason I looked closer at Dell(which I'm staying away from)/Alienware was that I didn't actually have to build anything, yet could still customize.

Though building my own would probably entail me waiting till summer. School is a bit higher on my priorities right now.

And thanks a lot gaming_freak, I'd love reccomendations. Going from the $1500-2000 range, what do you suggest?

I'll check out Newegg sometime soon, thanks for the heads-up.

motherboard - DFI lanparty
cpu - amd 4800+ dual core
ram - OCZ 2x1gb gold xt xtx pc4000
vid card - 7800gtx 256mb
hard drive - segate 7200.9 (whatever size u want)
case - whichever one u like the look of
dvd burner - lg ones are nice check them out

that should give u an idea of what to get, check out newegg for all those parts and it should be well within your budget, i dont know if u want a monitor or not but if u do check out veiwsonic monitors, theyre very nice

gaming_freak said:
motherboard - DFI lanparty
cpu - amd 4800+ dual core
ram - OCZ 2x1gb gold xt xtx pc4000
vid card - 7800gtx 256mb
hard drive - segate 7200.9 (whatever size u want)
case - whichever one u like the look of
dvd burner - lg ones are nice check them out

that should give u an idea of what to get, check out newegg for all those parts and it should be well within your budget, i dont know if u want a monitor or not but if u do check out veiwsonic monitors, theyre very nice
Thanks a lot! I'll take a look at all of that stuff. I think I'll upgrade my monitor to a classier one, since this one if starting to show its age.

I've also got speakers, some mighty sexy ones too...they're semi-old, but their performance is incredible. So those are taken care of.

What do you suggest for a sound card?

If you can, an X-Fi is what you want! I'd really recommend one of those!

I'm pretty much in the same boat. If you say very MAX $2500, that's about what you'll spend.

I went through the whole Alienware setup, and almost bought an Aurora 7500, w/some nice stuff.

But then I found buyxg.com, and was able to get a really good machine (still under debate on a separate thread).

Here what I got for about $2700 (sorry for the extra info....not very sure what isn't important):

CAS: X-BLADE Mid-Tower 450W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display + FAN CONTROL
CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlonâ„¢64 FX 60 Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
CD: LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS
HDD: (SATA150 - Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM 8MB Cache WD360GD)
HDD2: (SATA150 - Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM 8MB Cache WD360GD)
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair XMS High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2
POWERSUPPLY: Enermax EG565P 535 Watt Power Supply (SLI-Ready)
RAID: RAID 0 Striped Disk Array
SERVICE: Standard Warranty: 1-Year Limited Warranty Plus 1-Year OnSite Service
SOUND: New! Creative Labs X-FI Platinum 24-BIT PCI Sound Card
USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

You could save a lot of $$$ by not getting the FX-60, but I've been brainwashed.

Even a slight downgrade will get you some big savings.

Good luck

Check out cyberpowerinc.com along with ibuypower.com

they have some cheap comps

I checked those, but I couldn't come close with the same setup from buyxg.

I've read mixed reviews about their support, but it's much better than if I were to build it myself.

Back
Top Bottom