Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Send a message via AIM to Spartacus210
Exclamation Advice on choosing a computer.

Recently I've been searching around for a new computer. However grateful I am to my father for giving me his (after mine broke), my current computer is a piece of junk for gaming (I'm not even sure if it has a graphics card), and I'm looking for a new one. To put it simply, a gaming computer.

Now I'm not a hardcore gamer. I don't stay up late into the wee hours of the morn playing CSS. I'm also kinda broke. Being only in high-school makes for not a large amount of money. In short, I'm looking for a budget machine. I don't mean the $800 piece of junk you call a gaming computer. In the $1500-2000 range would be fantastic, $2250-2500 as the absolute maximum.

Now I've cruised around a little bit. Saw the Dell computer, the XPS. My neighbor has one (XPS 600), I played on it. It did well. But I also talked to some friends of mine, who say stay away from Dell (their gaming computer is also $3200, so theres another reason to drop it).

I checked up on Alienware, expecting to find some overpriced holy grail of gaming rigs. I was pleasantly surprised to find many, much more budget options for a gaming computer, with system specs that weren't all that bad. Though I would play around with the customizability, this looks like a good option.

Another thing I've considered is to build my own (again*). I found some sexy cases online (on recommendation from a friend). However, remembering the process of making my own a few years ago, it was daunting. I did have my dad and a technician to help out (/build the damned thing...cut me some slack, I was 11 at the time!), but it was still tough.

In conclusion (finally, I know) is I'm looking for advice. I'm not a hardcore gamer, and am on a semi-tight budget. Between these options, what would be my best choice? Or is there even a choice I'm not thinking of? Speak up! I'm relatively new to this whole business, so I need all the help I can get. Thanks.

Endnote: I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, seeing as forum descriptions were kind of indistinct, so I'm cross-posting this to the Rapid Gaming forums too.

*-Back in '01 my christmas present was a custom-built gaming rig. It was beautiful; state-of-the-art for its time. Then it got outdated and turned into a complete piece of junk. And broke. I'm running on my Dad's old work PC (which is obviously not tuned for gaming).

Spartacus210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Advice on choosing a computer.

your friends were right to tell u to stay away from dell, u should build your own computer and with that budget u could build a very very nice one, if u would like me to list what i would recommend just say the word and i'll list all the peices for a very nice gaming comp

Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

I'd build your own. You'll save a lot of money, and it will be a good learning experience in the process. Poke around on Newegg, find some stuff you like, and check back here and see what we have to say.
Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
Solid State Member

Thanks a lot guys. The main reason I looked closer at Dell(which I'm staying away from)/Alienware was that I didn't actually have to build anything, yet could still customize.

Though building my own would probably entail me waiting till summer. School is a bit higher on my priorities right now.

And thanks a lot gaming_freak, I'd love reccomendations. Going from the $1500-2000 range, what do you suggest?

I'll check out Newegg sometime soon, thanks for the heads-up.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

motherboard - DFI lanparty
cpu - amd 4800+ dual core
ram - OCZ 2x1gb gold xt xtx pc4000
vid card - 7800gtx 256mb
hard drive - segate 7200.9 (whatever size u want)
case - whichever one u like the look of
dvd burner - lg ones are nice check them out

that should give u an idea of what to get, check out newegg for all those parts and it should be well within your budget, i dont know if u want a monitor or not but if u do check out veiwsonic monitors, theyre very nice
Old 03-06-2006, 10:46 PM   #6
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaming_freak
motherboard - DFI lanparty
cpu - amd 4800+ dual core
ram - OCZ 2x1gb gold xt xtx pc4000
vid card - 7800gtx 256mb
hard drive - segate 7200.9 (whatever size u want)
case - whichever one u like the look of
dvd burner - lg ones are nice check them out

that should give u an idea of what to get, check out newegg for all those parts and it should be well within your budget, i dont know if u want a monitor or not but if u do check out veiwsonic monitors, theyre very nice
Thanks a lot! I'll take a look at all of that stuff. I think I'll upgrade my monitor to a classier one, since this one if starting to show its age.

I've also got speakers, some mighty sexy ones too...they're semi-old, but their performance is incredible. So those are taken care of.

What do you suggest for a sound card?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:48 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

If you can, an X-Fi is what you want! I'd really recommend one of those!
Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #8
Solid State Member

I'm pretty much in the same boat. If you say very MAX $2500, that's about what you'll spend.

I went through the whole Alienware setup, and almost bought an Aurora 7500, w/some nice stuff.

But then I found buyxg.com, and was able to get a really good machine (still under debate on a separate thread).

Here what I got for about $2700 (sorry for the extra info....not very sure what isn't important):

CAS: X-BLADE Mid-Tower 450W W/ WINDOW & LCD Temperature Display + FAN CONTROL
CPU: (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 FX 60 Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
CD: LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS
HDD: (SATA150 - Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM 8MB Cache WD360GD)
HDD2: (SATA150 - Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM 8MB Cache WD360GD)
MOTHERBOARD: (Sckt939)ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIE MB w/GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE-1394,&7.1Audio
MEMORY: 2048 MB (1GBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair XMS High Performance Memory w/ Heat Spreader
OS: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2
POWERSUPPLY: Enermax EG565P 535 Watt Power Supply (SLI-Ready)
RAID: RAID 0 Striped Disk Array
SERVICE: Standard Warranty: 1-Year Limited Warranty Plus 1-Year OnSite Service
SOUND: New! Creative Labs X-FI Platinum 24-BIT PCI Sound Card
USB: Build-in USB 2.0 Ports
VIDEO: NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GTX 256MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

You could save a lot of $$$ by not getting the FX-60, but I've been brainwashed.

Even a slight downgrade will get you some big savings.

Good luck
Flyin' Blind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:06 PM   #9
Golden Master

Check out cyberpowerinc.com along with ibuypower.com

they have some cheap comps

what is up vanilla face
G35x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #10
Solid State Member

I checked those, but I couldn't come close with the same setup from buyxg.

I've read mixed reviews about their support, but it's much better than if I were to build it myself.

Flyin' Blind is offline   Reply With Quote