Advice on a build

treythomas123

Baseband Member
I'm building this for college. Will probably do some gaming, as well as some multi-thread stuff like video editing, so I compromised between 2 and 4 cores and went for the 720. How does this build look? Would you change anything, and if so, what?

NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR16004GK

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor Model HDZ720WFGIBOX - Retail

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

Patriot PE32GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail

I'm not so sure about the SSD. I really want the fast access speeds, but I'm not sure 32Gb is enough, and I don't really want to spend much more on this system. I'm considering swapping it out for a 1Tb 7200RPM.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Also, what do you think of this all in one liquid cooling system? Looks a little sketchy to me. Might be better than air though.

Haha, I was planning to buy an external 1Tb at some point. This build is already costing me more than I really want to spend... I think it will be worth it though.

So are you saying I should probably go with the 1Tb internal instead of the SSD?

Well, the low end SSD's aren't as fast as you probably think they are. Although the latency is significantly lower than platter hard drives. I don't think you would really see any difference in your case. You could get 2 hard drives in raid and have good performance. But I am currently happy with my single hard drive and have no issues with speed.

Its really up to you I guess.

I would probably switch the PSU for something from a more reliable company, maybe OCZ or some sort if you are looking for a cheap PSU.

Something like OCZ

Back
Top Bottom