Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Advice about upgrading my PC

Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum, I am looking for advice on how best to upgrade my PC and the sort of cost involved.

I know a little bit about PC's, I did fit a new graphics card and PSU in my current PC around 2 years ago and I upgraded the ram on my old desktop. What I am unsure about is how to go about upgrading this current PC further. It is a Packard Bell imedia x2415, 2.4ghz 6600 quad core processor, 3gb of ram, 32 bit Vista operating system... What I plan to do is upgrade the ram, try and convert it into 64-bit and upgrade the graphics card again. Current graphics card is a Geforce 8800GTS 640mb card, was decent a few years ago and can still handle good graphics but is too dated now for recent games.

So my question is... Can this PC handle 8gb of ram if I install 64 bit windows 7? What graphics card can I get for around 100 that is pretty decent for gaming and also... Would it just be better for me to buy a new tower from Ebay or something instead of going to the hassle of upgrading this PC?

Sorry that I'm asking so many questions, just a bit stuck as what to do about this at the moment.

AlterBridge24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Solid State Member

Best option is too google the "maximum capacity of your machine and motherboard" . Most mother boards do have limits, so its not a bad idea.to check and when you do try to upgrade make sure motherboard and bios drivers are up to date.

Afternoon www.electronicsdelight.com
Electronicsdelight.com is offline   Reply With Quote