Administrator Password Gone...

superman22x

Golden Master
I am helping a co-worker out. Their family was given a computer or sold, idk which. Anyway, the internet stopped working first. And with unplugging and re plugging in, that was fixed... Now, internet exlorer doesnt work. As soon as I open it, it crashes. It's like version 5 or 6 too... So I was going to run an update, but I need an admin password, that they don't have... Any way to get that? I can't install anything without it... I am going to bring a flash drive and see if MAYBE I can install Google Chrome, but probably not...

To be honest, I'd recommend doing a full wipe / reinstall on any second hand computer bought anyway - if you just want a way to reset the password though, there's a nice linux command called chntpw that'll do the trick without any fuss :)

Hi, not sure if you're still looking for more answers but, boot into safe mode, goto control panel and change the password from there, no confirmation needed.

Hi, not sure if you're still looking for more answers but, boot into safe mode, goto control panel and change the password from there, no confirmation needed.
You'll still need the administrator password to get in!

To be honest, I'd recommend doing a full wipe / reinstall on any second hand computer bought anyway

+1

The previous owner probably had a lot of stuff loaded on the computer that your friend won't want. It will just slow it down and take up space. Reinstalling Windows is always the best thing to do with a pre-owned machine.

If not, there's a handy little trick my friend and I discovered back in high school. The idea is to set "cmd.exe" to run as a scheduled task, so that when it opens, the user running it is SYSTEM, not the user who set the scheduled task. The user SYSTEM has no account restrictions. (we used this to get around blocks on our school computers :p )

-Click Start, then run
-Type [at **:** /interactive "cmd"] without the brackets
(but replace the **:** with the current time plus a minute or two. I'm not sure, but you might have to use 24 hour time with this command)
-Wait until the time you typed comes up on the clock, and the command prompt window should pop up. Now any command you type in will be executed by user "SYSTEM", and you have no restrictions.
-Type [net user administrator ******] (without the brackets. and replace the asterisks with the new administrator password.)
-It should respond "The command was completed successfully"
-Now log out of the current user, and when you're at the Windows Welcome Screen, press ctrl+alt+del twice and a login window should pop up. Type "Administrator" as the username and whatever password you changed it to. It should log you in as admin, and you can change whatever you need to change.

Hope this helps, let me know if any of these steps didn't work how they should have.

Back
Top Bottom