Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Question Administrative Account Problem...

I've been a member here for only two days, and have encountered two problems already. That isn't good.

Anyway, I've been experiencing this problem for quite some time now, but have been able to find ways around it. But because of this problem I've been experiencing, I can no longer ignore the problem.

I am the administrator on my computer, and since I've had my HP Pavillion PC, which is about 3 years old, I have never had any problems running programs, installing/uninstalling software or hardware or anything else limited to the administrator. That is, until now.

Everytime I try to install something (namely, SP2), it tells me I need an administrative account to do so. But I do have an administrative account! I'm the owner of the computer as well!

I've tried installing them in Safe Mode in the account named 'Administrator' and I experience the same problem. Could this be some sort of virus?

Maybe its because I recently deleted an account that used to be the Owner. I don't know. But that account is long gone, far from the reach of System Restore.

I don't know what else to do. If you guys can't help me, I'm going to wind up calling Windows!

SportzStooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to joe pic Send a message via MSN to joe pic Send a message via Yahoo to joe pic
Default Re: Administrative Account Problem...

Welcome to the foums! I've never in my whole life experienced a problem like this before, why don't you try a system restore? How long have you been having this problem?
From your account, try switching another user on your PC to an administrator, and from their account, go ahead and change yours back? I'm not quite sure.

joe pic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to joxley1990 Send a message via MSN to joxley1990

I had a problem like this a while back, I ended up re-formatting though.

You might want to consider it, if it hasnt been done for 3 years..

But, if you dont want to, run all antivirus/spyware, see if it's some nasty stuff on your computer..
joxley1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Solid State Member

Thanks guys, I'll take those suggestions into consideration.

I'm running a virus scan right now, and later on tonight I'll be doing other things of that sort.

I was planning on back-up all my files and re-installing Windows for a while, this might be my cue to do so.

Again thanks!

Anymore suggestions?
SportzStooge007 is offline   Reply With Quote