Adjusting dedicated video memory

smacktard

Beta member
I just purchased a new laptop. It is an Acer Aspire 5517. 1.6ghz processor 3gb ram "up to 1406mb video memory" on an ATI Radeon HD3300 video card.

When I go to system information it states that 256mb ram is dedicated to video memory and the rest is "shared system memort". I am somewhat computer savvy but as many people there is a lot I do not know. My questions are. How is this dedicated memory to video adjusted? Is it advisable to max it out, if not how much would be an advisable level?

I really am not a "hard core gamer" this computer mainly will be used to play a game called Runescape which is a game I've spent unfortunately way too much of my free time on over the years. The game is a massive multiplayer java based browser game and I'm thinking more video memory might improve some of the issues I have been having with occasional choppienss in game.

Thanks.

It will have dedicated memory, which is a set amount and cannot be changed. The rest, unfortunately is shared with the rest of the system, or it steals VRAM from the rest of you computer. I would bump this to about 512MB unless you really need it.

Hello, welcome to ComputerForums!

This option can be found in your BIOS/setup. Usually accessed when hitting DEL or F10 when booting up your PC. Depending on your computer, there is a minimum and maximum amount of memory that can be dedicated to the GPU. I don't know if adding more will help significantly with your game play but you can experiment with it.

Back
Top Bottom