Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Adjusting dedicated video memory

I just purchased a new laptop. It is an Acer Aspire 5517. 1.6ghz processor 3gb ram "up to 1406mb video memory" on an ATI Radeon HD3300 video card.

When I go to system information it states that 256mb ram is dedicated to video memory and the rest is "shared system memort". I am somewhat computer savvy but as many people there is a lot I do not know. My questions are. How is this dedicated memory to video adjusted? Is it advisable to max it out, if not how much would be an advisable level?

I really am not a "hard core gamer" this computer mainly will be used to play a game called Runescape which is a game I've spent unfortunately way too much of my free time on over the years. The game is a massive multiplayer java based browser game and I'm thinking more video memory might improve some of the issues I have been having with occasional choppienss in game.

smacktard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Default Re: Adjusting dedicated video memory

It will have dedicated memory, which is a set amount and cannot be changed. The rest, unfortunately is shared with the rest of the system, or it steals VRAM from the rest of you computer. I would bump this to about 512MB unless you really need it.

Account no longer active. Contact info available in profile, if anyone cares to reach me.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Adjusting dedicated video memory

Hello, welcome to ComputerForums!

This option can be found in your BIOS/setup. Usually accessed when hitting DEL or F10 when booting up your PC. Depending on your computer, there is a minimum and maximum amount of memory that can be dedicated to the GPU. I don't know if adding more will help significantly with your game play but you can experiment with it.
PC: AMD Phenom 9950 2.6ghz Quad Core, ATI Radeon HD 5770, 8gb DDR2 RAM
Phone: Apple iPhone 5s 64gb (jailbroken)
Handheld Games: Nintendo 3DS XL, Tapwave Zodiac 2, GamePark Holdings GP2X F100
Legodude522 is offline   Reply With Quote