Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Acer or more expensive Lenovo laptop?

I am looking to purchase a laptop and think I have narrowed my search to two. I am between the Acer Aspire 5738G and the Lenovo ThinkPad SL510. The Acer is around 100 - 150 cheaper but I've heard a lot of complaints about their build quality. On the other hand I've heard Lenovo's build quality is excellent. Would it be worth my while spending the extra money for the Lenovo? Any help is greatly appreciated.

c_boyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Acer or more expensive Lenovo?

I own an Acer, and it's quite nice. I've yet to have a single problem with it, and I use it pretty heavily for a laptop. I can't speak for Lenevo however.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
Solid State Member

same here.. I actually bought my sister the acer aspire.. Don't expect to be running big processes off of it but if you keep it maintained, (cleaning temp, registry, etc.) it's a nice computer
yoo992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
Golden Master

Go with the ThinkPad.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 AM   #5
In Runtime

Lenovo Quality is good. A lot programs Lenovo installs on their laptops are actually useful. I wish I could put their power consumption program on every laptop.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:27 AM   #6
Omnicide now.

What the...?

My school had some lenovo laptops. Not the expensive ones or anything, but I imagione they were about $500-600 each. Anyway, there was never a time that more that two thirds of these things would even POST. It was just problem after problem after problem.

and the battery life was about 45 minutes from the day they got them. Those things were garbage. I really hope that was simply a bad batch of them, because if not, I have to say, I would put Lenovo far behind Dell, Gateway, and Compaq from personal experience.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:11 AM   #7
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
What the...?

My school had some lenovo laptops. Not the expensive ones or anything, but I imagione they were about $500-600 each. Anyway, there was never a time that more that two thirds of these things would even POST. It was just problem after problem after problem.

and the battery life was about 45 minutes from the day they got them. Those things were garbage. I really hope that was simply a bad batch of them, because if not, I have to say, I would put Lenovo far behind Dell, Gateway, and Compaq from personal experience.
^

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
Beta Member

When you say it won't run big processes how big are you talking? I'll be (hopefully!) going to college next year for a computer science course, so would these laptops be ok? Both have roughly similar spec of around:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 (Lenovo)/2.2 (Acer) GHz
Ram: 4Gb DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 320Gb
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Display: 15.6''

This will be my first laptop and so with no previous experiences I'm also open to suggestions for any other laptops I should look at with a price limit of around 600, that's about $900?
Old 03-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Lenovo is up there with Asus as far as build quality goes. The entire Thinkpad line is nearly indestructible. My fiancee was using a 15 year old Thinkpad from when IBM still made them up until a couple of months ago...everything but the battery still worked perfectly. The speakers on that thing are among the best I've seen on a laptop.

However, you can get better performance than either for the price. This one is pretty good:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/191979

The CPU is better than a Core 2 in every way, and the GPU excellent compared to what you usually get on a laptop. It's even good enough to handle light gaming, should you ever feel so inclined. (It should handle most games on decent settings)
Old 03-29-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
Beta Member

Thanks for the suggestion, looks good. Anyone got any other suggestions? Thanks for the help.