Acer aspire 5600 modem

nstepho

In Runtime
Hey,
I'm having some trouble setting up the internet on an Acer Aspire 5600. The laptop didn't come with any cds or drivers, but I think I have everything set up right, except when you go to dial the net, I get error 777. This means I have the incorrect driver installed right? I have been trying for hours and I can't find the right drivers or even what sort of modem it is (I know it's a 56k internal though). I can't look at the box or anything either as I've been doing this all over the phone. Can someone please help me here finding drivers or something?

Thank you.

PS. Merry Christmas everyone!

Check your Device Manager to see if there's any exclamation marks next to your COM ports or modem. If the modem is integrated with your laptop, it's better to get support from Acer directly. If it's a PCMCIA modem card, then look on the card itself to find the manufacturer's name and model number. You can then go to that website and download modem drivers.

Ok I'm heading over there today to have a look so I'll try that. When I was trying to get them to install the modem, the guy said there was no com ports available on the list (on my computer there is com1 and com2 in the list), but there is no exclamation mark on the modem in device manager. How can I tell if it's a PCMCIA modem?
thanks.

Well I got it working. I uninstalled the modem, then found the drivers on the Acer website (finally) which were like one version different to the one I had and installed them. Then I just had to disable the wait for a dial tone before dialing option and it worked.

Back
Top Bottom