Accidentally put 12v trough laptop USB port

Bostonul

Beta member
Hi, I need some help please. My laptop is dead because I connected by mistake a 12v transformer to one of my USB port in my laptop. Laptop shut down instantly and I can't turn it on anymore. When I press the power button the green light comes on for a few seconds and nothing happen on the laptop, no fan, no other lights, no noise, nothing. Please help. Sorry for my English

It's most likely you fried some chips on the main board. If that's the case warm up the VISA cause it will be cheaper to get a new one than try to get that repaired.

Improper connections leading to damage of the electronics by the end user (that's you) are not covered by the warranty.
Why were you connectiong a 12v transformer to a usb port in the first place?

The last ditch thing you can do is disconnect everything, take the battery out and hold the power button in for about 10-15 seconds. Plug JUST the power cord back in (leave the battery out) and try turning it on. If that doesn't work, the system is toast.

Ok, look how it happend: I have an Xbox 360 old model and someone give me a kinect sensor, the USB for kinect doesn't fit in regular port, I've connected to it a transformer to it to power it up and put a regular USB. There is a special cable for this but I didn't have it in that time. The sensor worked just fine till yesterday when I needed a longer cable. I replaced the cable with a longer one but I didn't insulate de wires just to test it to see if it works. I pluged the USB to my laptop to se if it powers up. By mistake the wires touch each other for one second , this was the moment when my laptop shut down. Since then when I try to start my laptop nothing happens . The power button turns green for a few seconds and off after that . Sad.

It's most likely you fried some chips on the main board. If that's the case warm up the VISA cause it will be cheaper to get a new one than try to get that repaired.

I agree with you there it will be cheaper to buy a new laptop lesson well learned I guess, I guess you could try changing the memory if you had a stick lieing around the other thing which is more likley this that you have done the processor in as well as the motherboard it will be cheaper to buy a new laptop than re rig this current one sorry for the bad news

I thought that it may be a fuse or something to protect the laptop. Anyway, thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom