Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #11
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Accidental deletion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan7777 View Post
I've come across this thread, and now I'm wondering, 'Ok, if these programs restore DELETED files. How do you PERMANENTLY delete them?
You have to overwrite them. What happens when you delete something is it's marked to be overwritten the next time you write to the hard drive. It's not really deleted, just written over the next time you write to the disk. The system sees the marked space and just adds it into the free space on the drive. Thats why if you accidentally delete something, it's very important not to write to the disk again until you recover the data. I've seen this happen with a compact flash memory card, I couldn't recover all the pictures that were deleted because the person took another picture with the camera and the cf card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
Whenever you delete a file its in print is left behind in the shadow memory so you can often retrieve them again, Getdataback can even retrieve some files after a format. the ones you tend to lose are movie files, as they are extremely large. to permanently remove a file you should use something like Eraser.
There is no such thing as shadow memory.
__________________

__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
Fully Optimized
 
blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,945
Send a message via MSN to blackjack
Default Re: Accidental deletion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
You have to overwrite them. What happens when you delete something is it's marked to be overwritten the next time you write to the hard drive. It's not really deleted, just written over the next time you write to the disk. The system sees the marked space and just adds it into the free space on the drive. Thats why if you accidentally delete something, it's very important not to write to the disk again until you recover the data. I've seen this happen with a compact flash memory card, I couldn't recover all the pictures that were deleted because the person took another picture with the camera and the cf card.


There is no such thing as shadow memory.
There is but it relates to Ram I was getting mixed up with that, technically you are correct you need to continually overwrite something to completely erase it as all that happens when you delete the file is remove the reference to it which contain the place where you will find it.
a simple utility tool will retrieve it unless as you said another file is created over it.
__________________

__________________
Compaq Presario CQ5305K-m Intel® Pentium® Dual Core E5300 (2.6 GHz), Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 2048 MB , Hard drive: 320 Gb, with 18.5 Widescreen
SPURS TILL I DIE (DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS)
TO DARE IS TO DO
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #13
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Accidental deletion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
There is but it relates to Ram I was getting mixed up with that, technically you are correct you need to continually overwrite something to completely erase it as all that happens when you delete the file is remove the reference to it which contain the place where you will find it.
a simple utility tool will retrieve it unless as you said another file is created over it.
When you say "shadow memory" are you referring to "virtual memory"? Because I've never heard of shadow memory.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,945
Send a message via MSN to blackjack
Default Re: Accidental deletion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
When you say "shadow memory" are you referring to "virtual memory"? Because I've never heard of shadow memory.
shadow memory
A portion of memory that helps make a system faster by sending any requests for the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) to the RAM (random-access memory) shadow for execution instead of searching throughout all of RAM. Also called shadow ROM (read-only memory), shadow RAM, and shadow BIOS ROM
__________________
Compaq Presario CQ5305K-m Intel® Pentium® Dual Core E5300 (2.6 GHz), Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 2048 MB , Hard drive: 320 Gb, with 18.5 Widescreen
SPURS TILL I DIE (DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS)
TO DARE IS TO DO
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #15
In Runtime
 
dan7777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 133
Default Re: Accidental deletion

Woah, cool. I had no idea entries were marked to be overwritten. So, that's how harddrives work then? I guess that makes sense, the needless don't have a 'delete' function? Entries are just overwritten?

Also, I guess files are fragmented, so it can take a while for a file to be completely erased?
__________________

__________________
Intel Q6600@2.4Ghz | ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS | 2x2GB Buffalo PC26400 Dual Channel | Dual Nvidia GeForce 6800GS @ x16 SLI | 2x250gb 7200RPM Maxtor RAID 1 | OCZ500SXS 500W PSU | NZXT Hush Case | Vista Ultimate 32bit.
dan7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0