Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
Baseband Member

Default AC Cooling vs. Liquid Cooling

i was looking threw a tiger direct catalog and came across this PC case
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...79401&CatId=32

now i was wondering is this as effective, better or worse than liquid cooling? i dont really want to try to do that to my system im afraid some fluid might escape and mess everything up, plus this just looks safer.. no assembly

KillaRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:32 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to uid=[0]
Default Re: AC Cooling vs. Liquid Cooling

hmm, that would be interesting to see how well that case performs

Wireless Network Security Spec.
uid=[0] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:44 AM   #3
BSOD

It's peltier cooling

Review of similar case with same cooling (see page 4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaRay
....... now i was wondering is this as effective, better or worse than liquid cooling? .......
The thing you must realise is that this is a whole case cooler, not hardware specific, so liquid cooling on specific hardware will give far superior results. The review shows that this set up only drops internal case temps by 1-3°C, the average case with some good quality case fans and tidy cabling can achieve that easily. Add to that the possibility of condesation in an enclosed case I feel it would pose more of a danger than liquid cooling.
My two cents worth
Deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

condensation wouldnt matter unless theres metal in the air which i doubt. but it is true about more conectrated areas of heating. what you would benefit from though is colder air and if you have good airflow it would make a bigger difference.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:33 PM   #5
Baseband Member

so which one is most suggested? any already set up liquid cooling cases available? im trying to set up a new system and i want optimum cooling
KillaRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to The Amish Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstar
It's peltier cooling

Review of similar case with same cooling (see page 4)

The thing you must realise is that this is a whole case cooler, not hardware specific, so liquid cooling on specific hardware will give far superior results. The review shows that this set up only drops internal case temps by 1-3°C, the average case with some good quality case fans and tidy cabling can achieve that easily. Add to that the possibility of condesation in an enclosed case I feel it would pose more of a danger than liquid cooling.
My two cents worth
Do you know what peltier is? Thats defently not peltier. A pelt cooling system will keep your processor at near freezing temps.

Quote:
so which one is most suggested? any already set up liquid cooling cases available? im trying to set up a new system and i want optimum cooling
frozencpu.com has some availible
http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Mod...nu_search.html
I know there are other places out there that have them availible too
AMD Opteron 165 CCBWE 0551@ 2.25ghz(250 x 9) 1.45v cooled w/ Thermaltake Big Typhoon | DFI LP Ultra D | eVGA 7800GT@ 465/1110 | Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | 2GB G. Skill DDR 500 @ 250mhz 3-4-4-8 | 80 GB SATA + 40GB SATA + 200GB IDE| 480w Thermaltake Silent purepower | Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case (Black) | Windows XP Pro |
The Amish Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:12 PM   #7
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Will

that case is cool (no pun intended)
Asus M2N-SLI DELUXE mobo | XFX Geforce 9800GTX 512mb | AMD X2 4600+ | 3GB OCZ Platinum (2x512, 2x1) | 320GB WD HD + 500GB WD HD | 19" Samsung SyncMaster 931c 2ms x 2 | Creative Fatality X-Fi Sound Card |
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #8
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amish Kid
Do you know what peltier is? ......
Did you read the review???
Quote:
THE REVIEW

Thermoelectric Cooling

Thermoelectric cooling is also known as Peltier cooling as well. It was discovered by a French watchmaker in year 1834. Thermoelectric module is created by the combination of many “p-” and “n-” semiconductors. Basically, this is how it works for Thermoelectric cooling; There are two sides; the electrons’ kinetic energy of one side will increase and turn into heat while the kinetic energy of the other side will decrease and the temperature will decrease. There are two heat sinks for both the surfaces of the thermoelectric. The heat sink of the cold side will act as a refrigerator and the hot side will act as heat sink. .....
That is the principle this cases cooling is based on, as with most things there are different variations of the process The item you have linked to also uses this principle but is in no way the only peltier cooling system devised, there are plenty of others. Your link is a cpu specific design utilising the peltier method, the case is just a variation on the peltier cooling theme. An open mind is a great asset in the young not everything is black and white, there are grey areas, I hope you have learned something today
Old 05-03-2006, 10:49 PM   #9
BSOD

Quote:
Personally I am tempted to try liquid cooling but I am hesitant for the same reasons you are, a leak would be catastrophic to hardware. There are some good liquid cooling kits out there, already set up cases I'm not sure of what is on the market where you are, there are none available here that I have seen. According to people I know who have liquid cooling it is not really that hard to set up (finding the right coolant mix is tricky) and you have to realise that the radiator will only dissapate heat into the atmosphere in direct correlation to the ambient air temperature. One guy I know is toying with the idea of having his radiator in a small bar fridge, if money is no object then I guess anything is possible Also be aware that certain cpu's/gpu's have a "cold bug" where they will not operate at excessively lowered temperatures.
It's a hard call to make, I guess you could read all the reviews on the net and if you have the money anything is possible
Old 05-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

The concept of using a peltier to cool the case is pretty creative, but that sucks up SO much power. Peltiers use a lot of power and they need it constantly, so if you don't want you electricity bill to go up, don't get it.

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote