Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
Bahawolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 2,604
Default Re: About lcd native resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura View Post
so do you guys think it's worth it to get a new lcd monitor now, or should I just get a cheap 17" crt (could probably get one for free) to use untill I get the money to upgrade my computer?

I guess my old monitor couldn't have blown up at a worse time.
I'd get a new LCD, simply because I hate CRTs due to the amount of space they take on my desk..

But if your gaming and it seems CRT is the way to go in that case, go for the CRT if you can spare the desk space.
__________________

Bahawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: About lcd native resolution

Depends on the quality of the monitor. For example, I have the Dell 2007WFP, and it's probably one of if not the best 20" monitor out there. So it can downscale very well. I play Crysis at 1280x1024 (instead of 1680x1050 native) and you wouldn't even know I had the res turned down. Some monitors can't downscale as well though.
__________________

__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #13
Golden Master
 
borat_sagdiyev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,986
Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default Re: About lcd native resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105 View Post
Depends on the quality of the monitor. For example, I have the Dell 2007WFP, and it's probably one of if not the best 20" monitor out there. So it can downscale very well. I play Crysis at 1280x1024 (instead of 1680x1050 native) and you wouldn't even know I had the res turned down. Some monitors can't downscale as well though.
1280x1024 is a 5:4 resolution, and 1680x1050 is a 16:10 resolution, doesnt it look stretched?
__________________
Core 2 Duo e4500 2.2ghz @ 2.8ghz
evga 650i ultra
2gb 400mhz ram OC'ed to 450
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: About lcd native resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat_sagdiyev View Post
1280x1024 is a 5:4 resolution, and 1680x1050 is a 16:10 resolution, doesnt it look stretched?
It looks a tiny bit stretched, but it's hardly noticeable.
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #15
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: About lcd native resolution

I figured it out the other day, 1680x1050 is 1.6:1, If I remember correctly. 1280x800 is the same I think, and than there is like 8**x4** for really low I think. And something similar to 1024x768.
__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:25 PM   #16
Fully Optimized
 
bullzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: US
Posts: 3,283
Send a message via Yahoo to bullzi Send a message via Skype™ to bullzi
Default Re: About lcd native resolution

personally i cant stand an LCD screen in anything but its native res. i dont know why, but i just cant, if your going to be doing gaming at that res. i would say get a nice flat screen CRT, if you get a nice CRT (granted you have the room) you'll be able to enjoy awesome refresh rates and the lower res. will look good, thats why i dont run LCD i use a 20" flatscreen samsung syncmaster CRT for gaming so i can run the lower res. (1024x768) and still have it look good...
__________________
-Desktop- Dual Monitor, Q8200 2.34Ghz, 8GB, 1TB, XFX 6850, 7 Ultimate
-ASUS UL50- SU7300, 4GB, 500GB, G210M, 7 Home Premium 64, XP Pro
-HP NC6400- Core Duo 1.86Ghz, 2.5GB, 64GB SSD, x1300, XP Pro
bullzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #17
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: About lcd native resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullzi View Post
personally i cant stand an LCD screen in anything but its native res. i dont know why, but i just cant, if your going to be doing gaming at that res. i would say get a nice flat screen CRT, if you get a nice CRT (granted you have the room) you'll be able to enjoy awesome refresh rates and the lower res. will look good, thats why i dont run LCD i use a 20" flatscreen samsung syncmaster CRT for gaming so i can run the lower res. (1024x768) and still have it look good...
Or just buy an actually good quality LCD...and don't tell me your Acer is good quality.

People don't realize that there are actually a bunch of different kinds of panels that LCDs use. They see the 20" TN for $200, then the 20" IPS for $350, and they're like oooh I'll save some money and buy the $200 Acer. And then they complain about how much better CRTs are than LCDs
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
bullzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: US
Posts: 3,283
Send a message via Yahoo to bullzi Send a message via Skype™ to bullzi
Default Re: About lcd native resolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105 View Post
Or just buy an actually good quality LCD...and don't tell me your Acer is good quality.

People don't realize that there are actually a bunch of different kinds of panels that LCDs use. They see the 20" TN for $200, then the 20" IPS for $350, and they're like oooh I'll save some money and buy the $200 Acer. And then they complain about how much better CRTs are than LCDs
uh i dont have an acer...

its just personal preference here, i'd rather have crisp display or crt, personally i really think its all what the individual wants, i was just offering my opinion... not all people can afford a $350 monitor i got mine free, thats the main reason i have it
__________________
-Desktop- Dual Monitor, Q8200 2.34Ghz, 8GB, 1TB, XFX 6850, 7 Ultimate
-ASUS UL50- SU7300, 4GB, 500GB, G210M, 7 Home Premium 64, XP Pro
-HP NC6400- Core Duo 1.86Ghz, 2.5GB, 64GB SSD, x1300, XP Pro
bullzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #19
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 282
Default Re: About lcd native resolution

I find when you use less than native settings on your desktop on an LCD it is odd looking but during games I don't see any difference. Weird I guess.
NeciFiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:53 PM   #20
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: About lcd native resolution

If you're a graphic designer or an animation artist you'll almost always use a CRT monitor. They're far better at color reproduction then the highest rated LCD monitor.

These professional monitors can run up to $2000 depending on the brand and quality.
__________________

01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0