Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Aaah please help!

Hi guys!
This new system finally got working nicely and I've found 2 more problems... one I didn't pay attention to but now I understand how it works and so i'ts more of a problem, and the other I only just got this morning and though it's not doing it anymore i did nothing to fix it so it may come back.

1. This morning, when I logged in, I got a termination error - for winlogon.exe; Some memory location could not be "written". Now, if I click OK to terminate it switches my start-bar to the classic bar, and assumedly it forgets my logon information (if I click START it replaces Administrator's Pictures with ##'s Pictures), and after about 5 seconds it locks up and shows me a stop error which I didn't manage to record - something just to do with the termination of the windows logon.

The thing is, if I don't click anything, the computer ran fine while the message-box was just there, in the way. I restarted a few times, got the same problem, and then turned it off and back on again and at the moment it's working ok. But perhaps I could get a solution or some ideas for future reference?

2. Both mine and my brothers almost-identical new computer, we've had some issues with our SATA layout. We both have a Gigabyte GA-M68SM-L2 mobo. I only need the one SATA hard-drive in, and it works fine when it boots. However, whenever I turn on the computer I get a disk boot error after the DMI pooling - and all I have to do is reset the computer and it'll boot fine again - it's just when I first turn on the computer. Why is this? It's rather strange.

My brothers issues are more in-depth - the mobo just stops on different parts of the booting process (like after drives are detected, or after DMI pool, or with a boot error, etc) at different times, and he needs to have 4 SATA Hard-drives in there at once - 1 to boot 3 as storage.

Thanks guys
-Rhys

RhysAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Aaah please help!

Ok, I have that winlogon problem again... just switched the computer back on and it's doing it again. A real problem for me. I *think* it may be Ad-Aware 2007 doing it, not sure though.

-Rhys

Old 12-16-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Golden Master

If you think it's that, start Windows in safe mode and uninstall.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 4.0GHz + TU120E lapped - MSI 770-CD45 AM3 - 2x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333MHz - Sapphire HD 4870 - Samsung Spinpoint 500GB 7200RPM 16MB cache HDD - Tagan TG600-BZ Piperock - (Currently open test bed) - Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit.
worshipme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
In Runtime

Ah, it is indeed Ad-Aware and a common issue. I happily uninstalled it and reinstalled an older version that i'm used to and it's all good now. Thanks anyway!

-Rhys