a64 3700+ or opteron148

2.2 GHz, man. A 600 MHz clock increase. That ain't no small overclock right there. And I'm running stock cooling and voltage! :D

The 148 is the best bang for your buck. That's what I got. However, there are different steppings, and before you install it make sure you get a good one. The three good ones are CAB2E, CABYE, and CABJE. The CAB2E is a beast for overclocking! Make sure you don't get the cabbage core (CABGE) because it is terrible for overclocking. It is on the chip itself, under the serial number. You'll recognize it.

Jamxx said:
The 148 is the best bang for your buck. That's what I got. However, there are different steppings, and before you install it make sure you get a good one. The three good ones are CAB2E, CABYE, and CABJE. The CAB2E is a beast for overclocking! Make sure you don't get the cabbage core (CABGE) because it is terrible for overclocking. It is on the chip itself, under the serial number. You'll recognize it.
well, if i buy from newegg and dont get the good core cpu, wat can i do? like can i return it? exchange it?

Yep, that's what I was told. I did not want to risk sending my CABJE back, though, for fear of getting something worse. Because, I do believe the Opteron's have been pulled off the market from AMD, but there are still some floating around in retailers' stock. You might want to go ahead and snatch one up so you can still RMA it in case you get a bad one. I bet you won't, though. It isn't likely.

Back
Top Bottom