98 Lite alternatives

Raffaz

Golden Master
My aunts got this ancient computer, that she uses for printing stuff on. Its a PII, im gonna format it for her coz its really slow. Was gonna use 98 lite, but cant find it anywhere to download. Does anyone know of anything else similar that could be used? It has to be able to run on this computer tho. Tried to get her to upgrade her computer, but she doesnt want to (shes nearly 70 so she cant see the point). Cheers

Any type of Linux would work fine on that box if you're shying away from Windows. I like Ubuntu personally.

What exactly is 98 Lite? I've only heard of 98 and 98SE....

Its a bit like XP lite, and tiny beast. Its got all the crap removed so that it runs faster. This is what her machine needs coz its crap. If it was my machine i would install linux, but my aunty wouldnt know where to start with it (she can hardly work windows, bless her lol)

Haha, but seriously, I have a PII 266MHz with 64MB RAM, and it runs 98SE like a charm. Boots up almost as fast as my current PC boots XP.

I can't find anything at all about this 98 lite, so I recommend just installing 98 or 95 if you really want to be able do do everything fast. The minimum requirement for 98 is only a 66Mhz 486DX2 processor. Your Pentium II basically will own that.

For 95, the minimum requirement is a 20MHz processor. That'll be a joke to a PII.

Also, maybe you should think about getting her a cheap Mac. Even though she doesn't want to upgrade, a G3 only costs a couple hundred, and it's a lot easier to use/faster than Windows for the non-tech savvy IMO.

http://www.litepc.com/
this is 98 lite, i used to have it yrs ago. Another reason i want it on me aunts pc is coz the less there is on it, the less she can break lol :) Shes 70yr old lol theres no chance of her learning a new pc, and she wont part with any money, ive tried already lol

freestyler105 said:
Any type of Linux would work fine on that box if you're shying away from Windows. I like Ubuntu personally.

What exactly is 98 Lite? I've only heard of 98 and 98SE....
98 Lite is an OS that runs on any HDDs and takes 5MB. That's it.
I've seen screenshots of it, but it looks too much like an enhanced version of Windows 3.1 with a taskbar and 32-bit color.

john123 said:
98lite is a program to modify windows 98, and not to make a new install cd....

I disagree, ive done a clean install with it in the past

Heres a quote taken from their site "98lite works with all versions of Windows 9x and can be used to install a clean copy of Windows or can be applied to existing installations allowing you to reconfigure any system, any time, YOUR way."

Back
Top Bottom