8GB vs 16GB RAM?

Hi,

Recently I played some games for a while and it minimised the game and said something about low memory, I have 8GB 1600Mhz RAM is it worth upgrading to 16GB 1600Mhz RAM? Also can anyone tell me if this RAM: Kingston 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM (Kit of.. | Ebuyer.com will fit in the Clevo 170SM/EM laptop.

Thanks

It could be, but also make sure you haven't got anything else that's causing the problem first - lots of things running in the background, any viruses or malware, etc. 8GB is still a fair chunk and I'd be surprised if just playing one game maxes that out (though I'd recommend checking the minimum specs to make sure.)

I have 16GB in my machine, but that's mainly due to running lots of development tools and VM's concurrently which I need for the work I do - it would be unusual for one application to swallow 8GB whole (and because of the 32 bit limit would also mean that application could only ever run on a 64 bit architecture.)

(and because of the 32 bit limit would also mean that application could only ever run on a 64 bit architecture.)

^ Not entirely true many 32 bit applications can use more than the 32 Windows OS limitation. Very bizarre I know but we have a couple of instances of 32 bit SQL Server running on a 64 bit machine that use more than 4GB RAM?

Yeah more memory will help in almost every case however I would dig deeper first as Berry said just playing 1 game and maxing out 8Gb is not normal, it should be hammering your graphics CPU and graphics memory not your regular RAM.

I think I actually had about 4GB of RAM left when it came up with the error and also which is weird on task manager it says I'm using 30% of my RAM but then when I add up all the RAM that's being used it doesn't even come to 1GB of RAM and 30% of 8GB isn't 1GB so I'm thinking have I limited windows to using all of it? Or is it because they are 32bit programs?

Not entirely true many 32 bit applications can use more than the 32 Windows OS limitation. Very bizarre I know but we have a couple of instances of 32 bit SQL Server running on a 64 bit machine that use more than 4GB RAM?
Nope, I mean a 32 bit application running on a 32 bit architecture can never use more than 4GB - on a 64 bit architecture it is possible with a few tweaks, sort of - but I've never seen this used outside of an enterprise environment (certainly it would be very odd with a game.)

As to other causes of the problem, double check you haven't got a large chunk of memory assigned to embedded graphics or similar - that can sometimes cause issues (but even then, not really to the extent you're describing.)

Back
Top Bottom