8800GTX Power Supply

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I should be ordering a new build tomorrow, but I was just wondering about the 8800GTX with its power supply. You need a 6 pin PCIE and an 8 pin right? If so is it likely that the GTX will come with the relevant converters. Also is 650W enough, thanks.

If you're ordering new parts, the 8800GTX shouldn't be among them. The 8800GTS G92 provides the same performance but costs less, uses less power and overclocks better. The 8800GTX is an EOL part and it pretty much obsolete especially as there are 8800GTs and 8800GTSs available with 1GB of Vram for higher resolutions to compete with the GTX's 768MB.
You need a 6 pin PCIE and an 8 pin right?
8800GTS G92 only requires a single 6 pin PCI-E power connector thanks to the 65nm process.
If so is it likely that the GTX will come with the relevant converters.
All modern power supplys should have a dedicated PCI-E connector but the card will be bundled with a 2xmolex to PCI-E 6 pin adapter.
Also is 650W enough, thanks.
You can't really judge a PSU by the wattage, especially not if it's generic. 12V rail amperage is what you should be looking at as that is where most modern components draw their power from. More amps on less rails is better, as if you have 3 + 12V rails on a PSU, one rail can risk being overloaded especially as the CPU draws power from only a single rail, so if you have a power hungry B3 Q6600 runing at 3GHz, the less rails the better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134037 <<< WOW price after MIR. Outperforms the GTX when OC'ed too.

Why does the GTX cost more than the GTS if the GTS is better? Is the GTS better because it has a 650mhz core as opposed to 600 in the GTX? How does this GTS look http://www.scan.co.uk/products/produ...oductID=713729.
The GTX is a 90nm G80 part with a 384bit PCB and therefore costs a lot more to manufacture. The G92 GTS is a 65nm part with a 256bit PCB and is a lot cheaper to manufacture. The G92 is not limited by the 256bit interface so no need to worry. The memory can clock higher and the G92 can be bumped up all the way to 775MHz on most GTSs. Bear in mind that the GTX is an 18 month old card.

But if you are prepared to wait a week or two, RV770 (HD 4800) is going to be released very soon and it appears AMD have struck gold with this chip. Double the TMUs, 1GB GDDR5 memory, and 850MHz core clock for the 4870, and almost 4GHz memory clock, and did I forget to mention the 480 stream processors. This is going to pwn G92 and is definitely worth waiting for.

Thanks for the help. Is that 775 core done when useing the stock fan? Also thats radeon lloks good but what if it is like the HD 3870, really good on paper but not as good at real performance.

775 is on a stock fan which is very effective even if it's not quite as quiet as an aftermarket cooler. The achilles heal on the HD 3870 was the TMUs and pixel fill rate, whereas RV770 is a new core and features double the TMUs to RV600/RV670, therefore, it will be considerably faster.

The Gainward 8800GTS 512MB is available for £150, so why pay £20 more? http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=719261

Thanks again, its funny you mentioned the gainward one, I decided to go for that one instead earlier, I read lost of good review about it.

Back
Top Bottom