8800GTS G92 @ 1920x1200

vaio-fx

Daemon Poster
I have chosen the screen I would like to buy but I'm not sure if my graphics card is up to the job. I have an nVidia GeForce 8800GTS G92 512MB. On my curreny screen (1280x1024) I can run any game I like with all the settings maxed out and it will play very smoothly. However I'm wondering if it will stay this way at 1920x1200 as this card only has 512MB of memory. Also how future proofed is this card, how much longer will it be able to play games at that sort of resolution? My guess is that it should be fine for now but I just want to check. This computer is a gaming pc by the way. Thanks. (Full Sped of PC in sig)

You will notice a good drop of frames per second. It really depends on the card. Just google the name of your card and add review to the end. You will find hundreds of benchmarks and statistics for your card.

i dont think you will lose that much FPS.
My friend plays at a res like yours, and i play on 1680 x 1050, back when my computer was working, he pretty much had the same set up as me, and i only saw about 1-2 FPS drops. I dont know if thats normal, but that was the difference between us.

If you use vista, vista will take about 767mb of the physical ram and makes it into shared ram, and when you play a game, and the video card requires more ram to run smoother, it will take only the required shared ram and add it to the dedicated ram. Though you will lose some physical ram, but 2gb should be enough, others will suggest getting more than 2gb of ram if running vista.

For my resolution, 512mb is enough. i think you will only need more if you play at an even higher resolution.

Im thinking it should be good till about next summer, thats my estimate if you want to play with like max settings with AA on.
I had an X1950 till this summer, and i could run most games on high with low AA, and some without, and i played at 1680 x 1050. The 8800GT was almost doubled in FPS. If the X1950 could last that long, then i am assuming that the 8800GT should last about the same.

Thanks. I have 4GB of ram at the moment and I'm planning on upgrading to 8GB soon, so RAM isn't an issue. Also I have the 8800GTS G92 not the GT so it should be a little better hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom