8 pin psu connector

showdog100

Beta member
This I am sure, sounds like a low level tech question but, which is better going fron 4 pin psu to 8 pin - Dual molex to 8 pin, 4 pin to 8 pin or just plugging in thew 4 pin?

for what? supplemental cpu power? Video card power? Molex? a little more information. Also, is it like 4 on top and 4 on bottom of a power like

OOOO
OOOO

and your 4 pin, is it

OO
OO

or OOOO

Sorry to confuse you. I have a motherboard with an 8 pin cpu power socket and a psu with a 4 pin connector. There are 3 options as far as I can see, a single molex to 8 pin, a dual molesx to 8 pin, and a straight 4 pin to 8 pin adapter, or I could just connect to the top 4 on the 8 pin connector. I was just hoping to get opinions on whick would be best.

600 wat psu,
asus 990x evo board
AMD FX 4100 CPU

Thanx for your help.

Last edited:
Its just to make the motherboard more compatible with more Power supply's.

You'll also fine some Power supply's come with two 4 pin CPU attachments.

Oooh, yes, this...

I had this query when I built my current rig, as it was the first time I had dealt with so called 8-pin CPU connectors, but really it's just two 4-pin connectors next to each other; personally, I think this is annoyingly misleading, but none-the-less works. As someone said, just connect as normal, keeping sure to use the...

0 0 x x
0 0 x x

...CPU plug as shown above, or of course on the opposite side. To my knowledge, it's impossible to put them in wrong, unless you force it.

Motherboards with these 8-pin CPU power looking things are simply allowing you to have more power fed to the CPU, should it be necessary; it's nowt to worry about.

G'luck!

Back
Top Bottom