7800GTX vs 7900GS

Airwalker

Solid State Member
Further to my previous thread I'm now faced with one small dilemma.

I'm buying a Dell XPS laptop soon. There are two (affordable) options for video cards.

GeForce 7800GTX 256MB
GeForce 7900GS 256MB

At a very long and painful stretch I would consider the 7900GTX, but for the moment, I'm interested to know which of the above two cards you would go for, bearing in mind that the price difference is neglegable.

Any input is very gratefully received.

7900 GS. It has the same technologies and might be a tiny bit slower compared to the 7800 GTX, but it's 90nm compared to the 7800 GTX's 110nm, meaning it will run cooler and use less power. I'm sure heat and power is a thing in mind when using laptops. ;)

I think you mean 7900GT... I don't think there even is a GS version of that.. and the GS versions are usually slow as dirt compared to thier GT counter parts.

I heard somewhere that the 7900GT is faster.. but I can't be certain. Personally i'd get the 7900GT, but thats just me.

the 6800GS and the 6800GT barely had a noticeable performance difference, and in game you wouldn't be able to tell the difference at all, it is only noticed when benchmarking.

kchi55 said:
the 6800GS and the 6800GT barely had a noticeable performance difference, and in game you wouldn't be able to tell the difference at all, it is only noticed when benchmarking.

That's because the 6800 GS was supposed to replace the 6800 GT while being cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom