6600GT to 7800GS

GreySteelFox

In Runtime
I'm upgrading my dell for the last time now. Instead of me spending $500+ on a new system, I'm just going to upgrade the video card for the 3rd time. I've heard that the AGP 7800GS's have been breaking down weeks after they're bought but is it an every other person problem or just a bad one every once in a while? Am I going to notice a big difference FPS wise and graphics wise out of one of these compared to my 6600GT? Oh yeah, I'm going to be getting the EVGA one because it's only $179 and I trust them.

And also, My computer only goes up to AGP 4x not 8x. Is there that much of a performance loss from the bandwidth size?

Well, you will have a performence boost, but AGP 8X would of been better. I know how you feel about being uncapable to upgrade the board...I have a G1 running. Can't put a AM2 in it at all.

You should be very pleased with the performance upgrade from the 6600GT to the 7800GS. Your games will run smooth as silk on high settings. :D

you will see a difference with the graphics wise but with high settings your CPU and ram might not be able to keep up. IMO with your rig now i would just save up that 500 bux and buy a new system.

Ronco Rox said:
you will see a difference with the graphics wise but with high settings your CPU and ram might not be able to keep up. IMO with your rig now i would just save up that 500 bux and buy a new system.

Well, that's just what I don't want to do. I'd rather spend $500 on something more useful then a computer. I just need a relatively cheap fix to keep this ancient rig somewhat up to date.

Will I be able to run Oblivion on the higher setting with some of the eye candy on, not AA? Right now I'm running it on medium with more then enough graphical lag and multiple hiccups.

Yea, you be able to push more graphical goodies out of Oblivion. The 6600GT is a good card, but not quite enough to handle higher settings like the 7800GS.

Well good, it's settled then. I buy the 7800GS, overclock it a bit, then keep the setup for a year or 2 longer. Speaking over overclocking, is the 7800 good with overclocking?

Back
Top Bottom