6600GT - 3d Computer restart problem

Freakin

Beta member
I recently upgraded my older geforce 440MX to a 6600GT dual DVI by XFX. I uninstalled the previous version of the nvidia drivers and installed the newest ones off their website. The system runs fine in windows, but when I tried playing LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth, I eventually get a hard reset of the computer. The higher I have the display settings turned up, the faster it restarts. When i turned it to like 800x600, low detail (all effects off, basically) it ran for about 5-10 minutes without reseting. I monitored the GPU temp while playing the game, and it didn't even rise more than 3C from the temperature in windows.

I tried uninstalling the newest drivers and installing a slightly older version of the drivers but still had no luck.

How should I go about troubleshooting this problem? I don't have many other new 3d games that I can use to test it, so any 3d testing would have to be with specific testing apps. Reading a little bit, it seems somewhat possible that PSU could be the culprit, is this likely?

I have not had a single restart when in Windows, only when running games (and it was definitley not as fast as it should have been, given the chipset).

Let me know about any suggestions

Thanks,

Brendan

*EDIT* And if it matters, I'm running dual displays, both on DVI.

Tweak said:
maybe ur card is running too hot and its doing an auto shutdown? i dunno....

Unless the thermoster is falsly reporting, then it doesn't seem likely. It's only about 50-55C. That was my first thought, but I ran the temp monitor during gameplay and felt the GPU heatsink immediately after a restart, and it was barely warm to the touch.

Brendan

Nah...it's not heat issues. 6600's are supposed to run hot. Did you download the new 71.84 drivers? I think the problem lies in the manufacturer...XFX is one of the worst graphics card companies ever. They make their cards cheap by cutting corners and using the cheapest of everything. They use cheap labor, as a result the card may be a defect due to the poor manufacturing process they use. Their heatsink/fan sucks since it's a puny piece of aluminum junk that's sprayed black, which asorbs heat even more (and defeats the concept of cooling anyway). Just to put it bluntly, XFX sucks. At least the boxes look cool.

Back
Top Bottom